Expert

Re: Hookup to HTPC with dual tuner card - is this possible from settop box?

Here on the Macedonia Ohio system, we get a black screen, somewhere thru a movie and no sound that says "press any key to continue viewing

The QAM STB's or DTA's are not pass thru devices, they convert QAM 256 RF channels on the cable input on a single channel basis to either Ch3/4 Composite video&stereo audio, and HDMI"

Ok, since cable is an optional, pay  service, the only requirement are "must carry" local channels and since basic cable isn't free, they can raise the price to include converters& multiple converters Same held true when the analog broadcasters switched to digital, people had to buy converters if their tv wasn't equipped.

Any fee increases may be regulated by the local community that would have the franchise agreement with a cable company. That could include both the cost and the channel lineup.

Where I see an issue is the additional video subchannels that the broadcasters added to their digital transmitters that are not carried on "basic cable" some of which are scattered all over the digital channels between 60 and 1200 here in Ohio, I get 40-50 antenna received channels and around 75% I've found somewhere on TWC.

What does irritate me is the random EAS EAB tests, I think the FCC should mandate all to occur at 10am Wednesdays The other Item is that none of the broadcasters should have been allowed to Alias their channel numbers which in many cases are not what frequency their transmitters are on. It's a hottible mess as TV's and converter boxes get hosed up by the changes which are still occuring

Expert

The 2015 DTA requirement  is of TWC's doing and not any sort of FCC mandate. They could simply delete tv channels 1-6 and move them to other analog slots and change out all the line amps and filters to raise the upload/ uplink/ reverse bandwith to 88 mhz.  All the docsis 3 devices are capable of using those channels and as more people migrate to 30/5 and 50/5 service, those will be needed.

The DTA's will also eliminate 60 presently duplicated channels

Expert

After a lot of complaints and wasted, triplicated channels, TWC is standardizing the qam channel lineuup across the US.  It's also supposed to make your cablecard device find the HD version of the channels as that will be the only place that channel is provided, and the SD receivers will be forced to decode it, just like "REAL TV"/

This change is being rolled out on a per headend mode as it requires massive changes at some

There are also some TWC provided DTA's that need to be exchanged, as far as I've heard, TWC isn't providing any that use an external cablecard, It's built in as well as the DVR's and cable boxes (some have a "sealed" cablecard slot with one inside)