Participant

Will HVR2250 pickup cable-ready Nickelodeon, Disney, etc.?

I'm in the Cincinnati / Southwest - Ohio region.

My HDTV TV picks up all of them... was wondering if the HVR 2250 would do the same?

6 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Will HVR2250 pickup cable-ready Nickelodeon, Disney, etc.?

Sorry, not for long. TWC is switching a lot of those channels over to encrypted qam only. .

All i get here on a QAm card are the "starter" channels which are only the local broadcasts plus a couple community access.

Expert

NTSC "cable ready" devices will not receive anything after 2014.

TWC Ohio is only putting the bottom 20  "starter TV" channels on "Clear Qam"

Nothing satellite, sorry...

All will require a box/ cablecard device, dvr, etc.Woman Sad

ant
Sharer

Bummer. I also have this awesome tuner card. I will be moving and ATSC OTA doesn't work well. QAM is going away. Too bad this card didn't come with a cable card slot. Smiley Sad

--
Ant @ The Ant Farm and Ant's Quality Foraged Links
Participant

The Card can still be used, if you got the Full Package with the Remote. It will let you use the Remote and all you need do is add a Ceton InfiniTV 4 or 6 PCI-e or the new InfiniTV 6e external one. Requires High Speed USB so thats a must. I currently have the above and really its great to have TV Games Movies Music and all around everything right here on the Desktop.

MSI Z77A-GD65 Gamer Edition i7 3770 - MSI GTX 770 Gamer Edition x 2 SLI - Twin View VG278 27" 3D Vision Displays.
ant
Sharer

TikaCaster wrote:

The Card can still be used, if you got the Full Package with the Remote. It will let you use the Remote and all you need do is add a Ceton InfiniTV 4 or 6 PCI-e or the new InfiniTV 6e external one. Requires High Speed USB so thats a must. I currently have the above and really its great to have TV Games Movies Music and all around everything right here on the Desktop.

Can those USB2 cable card devices' bandwidth handle with on a quad-core system that is multitasked with other things at the same time? I use my PC as a HTPC and a regular PC. Can they do Linux too? I noticed Hauppauge's cable card devices need Windows 7+'s Media Center. Smiley Sad

--
Ant @ The Ant Farm and Ant's Quality Foraged Links
Participant

I'm in the Dallas area and I own a HVR2250.  I have been using it for several years now with Windows 7 pro and Windows Media Center.  I pair it with the Motorola TA 700 (a tunning adapter) and cable card that you get from Time Warner. This allows you to get the 'switched' channels.  I can get ALL the channels that I subscribe to.  You will not be able to get On Demand Channels with this device.  The only issue that I have encountered (and have had several discussions with Hauppauge about) is that their SW tends to 'forget' about the tunning adapter.  When this happens you can't tune to the switched channels until you reboot your computer.  Hauppauge support has sent me a beta version of a fix that I need to test and get back to them on the performance.

If you download the most recent versions of their Device software and the TA proxy and carfully follow their written instructions on the correct installation proceedures then you should have a pretty good stable setup for both watching and recording shows.

Good Luck