Rookie

Hauppauge’s WinTV-HVR-1250 in htpc wont pull any digital hd channels

i have a htpc hooked to a 50" plasma in my living room. i have only basic cable. with the cable hooked to my plasma tv, the tvs' tuner will pull hd stations like 5-1,8-1,10-1,13-1, and 31-1. with i hook the cale to my Hauppauge’s WinTV-HVR-1250 tuner card it will only tune in the non hd stations. if i hook a powered antenna to the tuner card it will pick up the ota hd stations. any one know why it will not tune them over the cable when the tv does? i am running windows 7 64 bit. and tried in windows media center.

12 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Hauppauge’s WinTV-HVR-1250 in htpc wont pull any digital hd channels

uhhh. there are no ATSC channels on any TWC system that I know of. You need to see if that piece of cable going to the tv is bad, like with an open shield.

In some cities, twc still has ntsc cable chanels on 2-95 but they will display that on your tv

Also  the Haupauge has 2 F connectors on it, one is for ATSC, the other for NTSC/QAM/fm

Rookie

my tuner card in my htpc only has 1 f connector. and says it is compatible with

• NTSC Analog Cable, Over the Air TV
  • ATSC Digital Over the Air HDTV
  • Clear QAM Digital Cable TV.

i ran the same cable to my tv that i pluged in to my tuner card in my htpc. all im trying to figure out is why the tv will get 5-1 over the cable yet the tuner card will not get it over cable

Expert

[ Edited ]

What zip code are you in, is it an apartment building or a house? I can look up what's supposed to be on your basic cable and also what on air ATSC's are there. It really sounds like the cable you're using isn't TWC but an antenna. If it has cable on it, you should see like 75 channels all aliased in the 2-95 range with no .1.2.3's after the number

The Hauppage cards work fine but the win xp mediacenter program is awfull and is difficult to scan for channels between QAM, NTSC, ATSC, and cable ( Ihave 3 here, not the PCIe versions)

Media centers tv controls are out of sync once it finds the channels.

Expert

on the tv, do you only get the .1 channels and not the rest like .2 .3 etc? Are you getting any cable channels on the tv?

Rookie

i get sd channels 3-18. i only subscribe to basic cable. but i get fox, ynn, cw, cbs, nbc, abc in both hd and sd on my tv, just not my pc where i would like to get it. zip code 14468, its a house, and i pay for basic cable

Expert

[ Edited ]

OK, so on your tv, you get 18 channels, all on channels in a row. Those  have been converted from air to cable channels and you enter the aliased channel numbers on your remote, not the stations channel like 31.1

They're going to be either NTSC or clear QAM.

With the cable connected to the Hauppage card and it's menu, you have to manually select cable and do a scan, it should then save them on a spreadsheet (maybe called add-delete channels)  that I believe you have to check off on the ones you want to view. Since it already saved the ATSC from the antenna, they're already checked.

If I remember right, this has to be done under the hauppauge menu and not the media center tv screen one.

You should be able to watch them on the Hauppage menue. If it works then try the media center. The problem I have is the channel settings won't transfer to media center, maybe yours will work. since you're running a newer OS.

Bad news is...Eventually TWC is getting rid of the NTSC and clear qam and require you to rent a encrypted qam cable box or a cable card that goes into your computer, I don't know if hauppage supports those on your 1250. cost is going to be around $4.75 a month per device. on your tv, the ATSC HD will be better resolution than from the converted NTSC channels. but it often requires an amplified antenna in attic or roof

Need to run, I'll give you a channel lineup this afternoon, don't have time to lookup the an air vs cable for your zip.

Expert

[ Edited ]

here's the on air aliased ATSC digital channels and a couple low power NTSC channels in your area. The digitals are the ones ending with .1, many have additional subchannels that are not on your starter cable package. 10.1 and 13.1 are vhf high channels, the rest are uhf,  there's a couple  dual band antenna's  that cover the 174-220mhz vhf hi channels 7-13 as well as the 14-50 UHF ones, they're smaller than the old ch2-83 ones.

PBS and ION probably have 4+ subchannels, I leave it to you to look em up, some change frequently

Stations   Antenna
WBGT-CD 46.1 MNT
RF Channel: 46
12 miles at 144°
Yellow
WHAM-DT 13.1 ABC
RF Channel: 13
17 miles at 136°
Yellow
WHEC-DT 10.1 NBC
RF Channel: 10
17 miles at 136°
Yellow
WROC-DT 8.1 CBS
RF Channel: 45
17 miles at 136°
Yellow
WXXI-DT 21.1 PBS
RF Channel: 16
17 miles at 136°
Yellow
WUHF-DT 31.1 FOX
RF Channel: 28
17 miles at 136°
Green
WAWW-LP 20 IND
RF Channel: 20
17 miles at 136°
Light Green
WHSH-LP 36 BOX
RF Channel: 36
17 miles at 136°
Light Green
WPXJ-DT 51.1 ION
RF Channel: 23
30 miles at 200°
Light Green
W42CO-D 42.1 TCT
RF Channel: 42
17 miles at 136°
Red
W26BZ 26 MNT
RF Channel: 26
27 miles at 134°
Red 

from antennaweb.org f

Expert

I can't get TWC's channel finder to load... It's on another BAD TWC SERVER, more intent on running an ad and something with expired security certificates than the zipcode to channels in a package printout.

TWC got rid of the old ch2-95 basic cable, It is is replaced by Starter cable (Ch's 2-20 aprox) and Standard cable which runs above where starter leaves off and up a couple hundred.

Your zip will show your system, all are different. Also  on many systems, the starter and standard packages do not give you HD video but just SD, Most of the subchannels on air are SD, the .1 primaries are usually HD.

It's not noticeable on a small set or computer, but on a big screen, the hd on ATSC and Blu ray surpassed the HD on Cable.

With TWC adding $2.75 for broadcast and raising everything else, There's going to be a lot of people switching back to antenna.

Rookie

where is ch 5.1 coming from. this is ynn in hd. my tv get ch 9 and 5.1 for ynn.  i get ch8 which is standard def. and 8.1 which is high def.  same with the rest of the channels. i get a sd channel along with a high def channel.