Observer

Drop phone, buy modem, Does Hauppauge work with Desktop???

I dropped the phone bundle and just have internet and lesser cable channels.  I still have the STB in the living room but never needed an STB at my computer.  My question is this....  If I return the TWC modem because no phone needed and I buy my own Motorola approved modem without the phone.  Will the Monitor/HDTV work or will I need a STB or Converter Box at the desktop computer now?

Computer running HDTV set as monitor.  Tuner card inside the desktop.  No cable connection in the back of the computer. ie, no place to screw cable connector.

HDMI-TV is connected to the computer with a HDMI cord

Seems to me, the cable connection is happening via the TWC modem?   How do I buy my own modem or am I forced to keep the TWC modem now. 

Or, should get a TWC cable tuner and will it make the connections I need. I am confused because there is no cable connection in the rear of my desktop and even if there was, how would it get the channels that I get in the living room with an STB?

Thanks very much!

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Drop phone, buy modem, Does Hauppauge work with Desktop???

[ Edited ]

What model of Hauppage do you have? Do you have their streaming module connected to your STB?

What model STB?

Are you getting local channels on the computer? No local channels or only local channels?

As far as I know, all Hauppage internal cards have connectors on them for an antenna/ cable other than a laptop one that had a little antenna on it.

Problem is all those only supported NTSC?Clear Qam, ATSC and not encrypted qam which TWC is converting to..

If none of the above is there, you have to be watching TV via the internet IP connection. If it's on media center, that sort of pulls programming from multiple sources including the Hauppage cards if there's anything on them.

Observer

Sorry to say, I'm doing this all for a friend.  I got her off the bundle incuding phone and hooked her up with Ooma phone.   Now, I'd like to return her modem and she would purchase one.  However, I did not examine her computer enough to know what HP has in there.  While under her desk, I did look and I did not see a cable connector sticking out in the back.  I hooked up her PC last November to her new small HDTV and for the life of me sitting here at home, I don't remember screwing a cable to a tuner card.  I am not even sure it is a Hauppauge tuner. 

I guess I need to appologize for asking a Q here without all the information.  I'll go back to her place tomorrow and get all the particulars.  Her phone was ported today and I was just thinking what my next step would be.  However, I am not sure she can get her own modem now due to still having a TWC TV package.  There simply 'must' be a cable connecter to the PC.  But, I doubt if that's going to pick up her selected channel choices. 

Yes, she is watching TV now on the PC in a window.  Basic channels only.  This is a brand new PC and a brand new HDTV. 

Thanks,

Expert

[ Edited ]

OK, TWCTV.COM is IP based and on the cable modem only. It probably gets what her cable box gets minus the local channels. TWCTV.COM only needs a MYSERVICES ID and password to run and it must be at the same location as the TWC cable box and cable modem. You can use your own modem

You don't need a cable  connector or tuner on the PC, just a connection to the modem.

She may have TWC cable running to the desktop HDTV and picking up ntsc basic cable (if any are left on her system) and clear qam, or an external antenna on the tv for over the air ATSC hd &SD digital channels

Expert

The only issue would be if she had a TWC all in one, Modem, Phone, Router/ WIFI.

She'd need to get seperate modem and a router with wireless.  Don't get an all in one, TWC will get into the router settings.

Observer

Eee gads,  NO, I got her a Dlink router over a year ago.   I'm trying to break up her bundled TWC.  Phone first and then we will see what comes.  I also got her into a Roku but she does not 'fiddle' around enough to see all that is at her fingertips there.  I will show her more of that and get her down to basic cable when I can.   That is the way my setup is. 

BTW:  This lady is 87 yrs old.  She wants and gets everything "I" have.  But, she also is very sharp and learns much by each thing we've done and I show her how to use.  I was a programer etc. all my life, so she leans on me and we are good friends since I retired and moved into her condo complex.

I will check to make sure the porting is completed today and we will be ordering her a modem. 

Thanks for the help

Observer

Nice explanation.  I've been reading out here the last week or so, and I see you've certainly got your ducks in a row as far as this forum is concerned.

Thanks, I got it.  Pls also see my reply below.

Observer

MsRaye wrote:

OK, TWCTV.COM is IP based and on the cable modem only. It probably gets what her cable box gets minus the local channels. TWCTV.COM only needs a MYSERVICES ID and password to run and it must be at the same location as the TWC cable box and cable modem. You can use your own modem

You don't need a cable  connector or tuner on the PC, just a connection to the modem.

She may have TWC cable running to the desktop HDTV and picking up ntsc basic cable (if any are left on her system) and clear qam, or an external antenna on the tv for over the air ATSC hd &SD digital channels

Oops, I replied to you in a separate post because I did not see the quote unitl after I hit reply.  You are one smart lady!  

Ohh, so that's how they do it, and thanks again.   All she wants will be still on her PC after she gets her own Motorola modem.   We will be on that path.

Donna