Highlighted
Rookie

Copying Prohibited on some channels with Ceton + CableCARD

Hi,

I'm a new Time Warner customer in the Cleveland OH area, having switched from WOW.  I have having a problem with my CableCARD-equipped HTPC.  I have a Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCI on a Windows 7 x64 PC running Windows Media Center, with a TWC provided Tuning Adapter.

When tuning certain channels, "Copying Prohibited" appears when trying to view it with Live TV. I believe, but am not certain, that the affected channels are on the SDV switched portion of the TA.  Many other channels, including some HD, are fine. As Live TV isn't completely working, I have not attempted to schedule any recordings to know if they are also affected.

I have spent several hours during the initial configuration of the card on the phone with a couple of different people with TWC CableCARD support group, both of whom have been extraordinarily nice, helpful and competent. We managed to get the CableCARD paired and mostly working, but this one problem remains.

I had a very similar problem before while with WOW though no TA was involved. Several other people also experienced, as discussed at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29434003-WOW-Cable-Card-DRM-issues. So I thought this might be a similar problem.

I was told by Ceton at the time that it was related to a legacy copy protection with the CableCARD spec, and that they were pursuing a change to the spec through Cablelabs to fix the root cause. At WOW, they were able to downgrade my firmware to address the issue in the meantime.

I noticed recently that the spec change was approved, and Ceton has a new pre-beta firmware that is supposed to fix it. (http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=8352).  But it has not resolved my Copying Prohibited problem despite hours of debugging, reinstalling, etc. working with TWC CableCARD support team.

So far, nothing has cleared up the Copying Prohibited problem.  Has anyone else had this problem on WMC, and if/how has it been resolved?  Has anyone tried the newest firmware from Ceton successfully?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Copying Prohibited on some channels with Ceton + CableCARD

I recall there was a Silverlight issue involved as well, Downgrading it solved the original problem.

Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried downgrading Silverlight to the version before the update in August 2014, but it didn't help.

At Ceton support's suggestion I've run sfc/scannow and renamed PlayReady mspr.hds file and rebooted, without any effect.

I'm still stuck with many channels working, but many showing Copying Prohibited. 

I'm not sure how to verify my suspicion that the affected channels are on SDV.

Anyone using CableCARDs with Cetons successfully in Cleveland?

Rookie

After trying numerous suggestions and ideas from various sources, nothing worked on my configuration, so I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 and Media Center from scratch. It's working now.
Expert

there areA/V stability complaints about using the 64 bit version of win 7, I'll bet you installed the 32 bit and it works.