Highlighted
Browser

Will a cablecard enable reception of encrypted digital channels currently available in analog form?

I want to watch TV on all my networked PCs without installing a tuner card in each one and running cable to each one, so I'm considering buying a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime. However, my current cable signal is only basic cable (and I'd rather not pay for an expensive upgrade to get 200 digital channels with nothing on). I get digital versions of local OTA channels, and analog versions of non-local cable stations (e.g., AMC, FX, MTV, CNN, etc.). Will a cable card working in conjunction with the SD HR Prime enable me to decode and "broadcast" the digital versions of those cable stations that I only get analog versions of now?
13 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Will a cablecard enable reception of encrypted digital channels currently available in analog fo

[ Edited ]

There is no longer "Basic Cable" it has been renamed and split into 2 tiers, Starter and standard cable.

some might presently be clear qam but most if not all will be encrypted as well as everything in tiers above

Those bottom 2 tiers require a DTA, cable card or cable box that decodes encrypted QAM.

unknown which if any are encrypted.

as for "broadcast"... that's not a good word to use as it would allow you to send video outside your home and probably get turned off if it even works in the first place. It can be bypassed by one computer set up as a server

what works today, may not tomorrow...

Ok, this one supposedly will work and uses cablecard but it doesn't require a dedicated PC as it's a network device:

$299<:section style="DISPLAY: block" id=tab1 class="tab_content" jQuery17209585665334529039="5">
InfiniTV 6 ETHInfiniTV 6 ETH is the world's most advanced network tuner for cable TV on the PC and a must-have accessory for Windows Media Center. It connects to your home network and lets you watch and record up to six live channels of HDTV on PCs throughout your home! Don't settle for only being able to record two or three shows at once. Restore family harmony and never argue again over whose show should be recorded!

InfiniTV 6 ETH works with Windows Media Center to turn virtually any style of PC into the ultimate cable box and DVR! It supports all cable TV channels, including premium channels like HBO®, Showtime® and Starz®.

Browser

Re: Will a cablecard enable reception of encrypted digital channels currently available in analog fo

Thanks MsRaye. Sorry, should've said "distribute TV signals over my LAN via SiliconDust HomeRun Prime" instead of "broadcast". Main concern is getting ALL my current channels delivered to and recognized by the SDPrime. Sounds like you're saying a cablecard/dta combo will do the trick, if I understand...
Expert

[ Edited ]

Yes, and the silicon dust Dual can do over the air ATSC on an antenna for your HD and maybe the few if any clear qam channels. You need the silicon dust prime apparently for encrypted qam, it also should do clear qam, will not do over the air atsc. you need both boxes to do all the above per the AVS forum and somewhat convoluted literature

However ALL DEVICES REQUIRE WINDOWS OS RUNNING MEDIA CENTER!

Expert

here's more on the Cetron...

My experience is a bit limited, but it sounds like you want to stream the programming from your cable card device to your three TVs. WMC (Windows Media Center) is the only program that can access the protected content from the cable card device. That's the bad news. The good news is a bit more convoluted.

Protected content can be broken into two groups, Copy Once content and everything else. Copy once content can be played on only the pc that records it (and on the "extenders" connected to that pc). All other content can be shared freely between your networked conputers. Since my cable provider only marks the HBO/SHOWTIME/etc., content as copy once, I can share most of the content that I watch accross my network without restriction. Others in this forum are not so lucky as they find that their cable provider marks most content as Copy Once.

As more cable providers move to marking more and more content as Copy Once, the only viable otpion (other than something illegal) is to use a WMC pc as a "server" providing content to extenders located at any TV that wants to view the protected content. Currently, the only options are the XBOX (which requires a subscription), some out of production extenters that can be found on ebay and the like, and the soon to be released Ceton Echo devices (much anticipated around here). The price for the Ceton devices is about the same as an XBOX, but no subscription is required. The full capabilities of these devices is still a subject of speculation regarding what video formats for movis etc., will be, but their capabilities for playing back recorded TV content from cable card devices is not a matter for speculation, they will play your content anywhere on your network. Reviewing the Ceton Echo Extender thread would give you a better idea of the pluses and minuses associated with these devices

Expert

It looks like the Silicon dust PRIME might fit the bill: but, I don't understand their use of both encrypted and non encrypted in the same paragraph unless it is meant to include both....

Compatible With: Windows Media Center (for use with encrypted or copy controlled content), Works with existing HDHomeRun Units, HDHomeRun PRIME can be added to your existing, TV sources: Unencrypted digital cable TV, Premium digital cable TV Three Tuners: Anywhere on Your Network QAM64/256 Works with popular DVR software

Expert

One other problem. No one here has a clue how your cable system is set up. TWC has no nationwide standard unlike Dish and DirecTV.

All TWC systems are supposedly dumping all analog by 2015.

lotsa  mish mosh from competitors they bought out and billions in obsolete equipment

I'll bet we have 100+ seperate sytems here in Ohio alone!

just cuz it works on mine doesn't mean it will on yours or someone even in the next suburb

Helper

They so want to reclaim that vhf real estate(to sell more broadband with higher advertised speed) pluse 56 mhz has lots less noise.
Expert

They need to get our first QAM data channel out of the FM broadcast band. 105.7, 106.5 and 107.9 trash it, also convert the next NTSC channel above to QAM use as it's trashed by the NTSC video.

when they clear all the NTSC off channels 2-6, then they can change out all the filters and amps and add in the 45-85 Mhz reverse channels. They could do 30+ Mbps upload today but it would trash everyone because the system is overloaded.

85-105 is a deadband, allowing the bidirectional filters some leeway, and Qam will go from 105-850+ mHz.

TWC is going to make all qam encrypted,

The term "Cablecard" is being improperly used.

It used to refer to a card in your PC. It is now a communications protocol on QAM that talks to internal, external, IP based and standalone QAM converters/receivers that may or may not have HD and or decription capability.

It also supports "copygard" to prevent recording on select channels as well as "Copy once".

Problem is IOS isn't licensed for encryption. whereas Mediacenter is.

So now there's all sorts of incompatability and since no 2 TWC systems are the same, support is limited to non existant.

Browser

That's a lot of info to digest. Fyi, I tried a homerun dual and it was able to tune in my ota channels, even the digital versions, but not the "cable channels". I've returned it and am planning to purchase the SD HR Prime, as well as obtain a cable card and dta from TWC. I'm running Win 7 WMC on all my computers so that's not a problem. I'll post results after I get the gear up and running. Thanks for the advice!