Spectator

Why is a CableCARD required?

I do not have a CableCARD on three of my TVs at my home.  Yet when I want to add new service for my mother at her new address one is required?  What is the purpose of this CableCARD and why is it required?  If it is required, can it be purchased rather than paying a monthly fee of $2.50 for it?

8 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Why is a CableCARD required?

does the tv require a cablecard?

if so it also needs a tuning adapter.

Spectator

No CableCard is required for the TV.  Why does TWC require one?

Expert

If it can't use a cablecard then it needs a cable box of some sort.  or a DTA .

Some systems do still allow qam TV's to receive the starter tv tier however that is being phased out.

Spectator

Can someone explain to me why TWC requires either a cable box or CableCARD?  I am using four TVs that do not have either one and I get the Standard TV channels with no problem.

Expert

You do now.... that will change, Only starter "may" be available on a "cable ready" set Standard is being changed to require a box of some sort. In some areas a box is required for all channels.

Where are you?

Most of Ohio is being changed this week.

TWC is changing all of the channels to require a box of some sort to thwart cable theft as well as free up bandwidth via use of switched digital channels that do not exist on the cable unless a customer has a box set to that channel

Participant

MsRaye,

Where is there published info about OH being changed over to digital only?  Just curious.  Even though my TWC is out of Hermitage, PA, our "HUB" is out of Akron, OH.

I am still getting channels 2-99 ANALOG, and some CLEAR QAM via just connecting the cable to the TV as of 1/23/15 at 12:30amEST.  So if the change was to happen, it has not happened yet.

I have 2 HD Boxes as well, plus "TRYING LIKE HELL" to get an M-Cablecard and SDV Tuning Adapter sent to me for a TIVO Roamio.  What a COLLOSAL MESS! And TOTAL INCOMPETENCE on TWC'S part.  Really a joke!

Sorry to spat like that. Had to get off my chest Smiley Happy

Spectator

In my area in NC I didn't have to use a Cable Card or a box on a new installation.  I get all the Standard TV stations without either of them.

[ Edited ]

how come my 50inch sanyo wont pick up basic cable channels but my 32inch tv will pick it up with out a box but my 50inch wont, is this maybe the tuner card in the tv  i know my 32inch is from 2013 and 50inch is from 2009 i live in akron ohio if it matters