Highlighted
Valued Participant

Starting off on the wrong foot

Thanks TWC, first cablecard is a Dud!  Aren't these things tested before they're given out to customers?  Another 3 days without any service.

15 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Starting off on the wrong foot

How do you know it's a dud?

What service did you have before and what have you bought that needs a cablecard?

Valued Participant

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

How do you know it's a dud?

What service did you have before and what have you bought that needs a cablecard?

MsRaye, CableCard support says it will not lock on signal. They can't get it activated after numerous hits. Only had Ultimate Internet before and am using the card in a TiVo Roamio for Starter TV only.

Newcomer

How about heading down to local cable store and getting one? 3 day wait...I would drive to get one. 

Expert

OK, this may be a nother issue... Internet only subscribers usually have filters on the cable blockinng al but the modem channels...

Also, didn't you get a tuning adapter as well?

where does the coax come from for the Tivo?

Splitter must be a 2 way with the modem on one port and the tivo on the other, With a tuning adapter, you loop the line thru it first then out goes to the tivo

splitter must be marked 5-1000 (or higher) Mhz

Valued Participant

Hellothere wrote:

How about heading down to local cable store and getting one? 3 day wait...I would drive to get one. 

That would work if only they were open on SaturdaysSmiley Sad

Valued Participant

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

OK, this may be a nother issue... Internet only subscribers usually have filters on the cable blockinng al but the modem channels...

Also, didn't you get a tuning adapter as well?

where does the coax come from for the Tivo?

Splitter must be a 2 way with the modem on one port and the tivo on the other, With a tuning adapter, you loop the line thru it first then out goes to the tivo

splitter must be marked 5-1000 (or higher) Mhz

I had thought of the block as well but CC support didn't really think so. Local office had no idea whether i needed a TA or not but said that a previous customer with the same setup did not need a TA, therefore, not knowing, i believed them. Splitter is a 2-way with one port to modem and the other to the TiVo.  Me personally, i'm thinking the block may be the culprit.

Valued Participant

[ Edited ]

I do however, get the clear QAM channels without the card inserted but no guide info of course.

Expert

I think you need the TA as it's the "cable modem" for any interactive viewing/ comands. that's SDV/ MOD/ PPV which can be any channels above 20 depending on your headend- all are different , from one city to the next

WHERE ARE YOU?

Someone in your area might be on here with more data

It's dumb that tivo and others didn't build them in.

Valued Participant

MsRaye wrote:

I think you need the TA as it's the "cable modem" for any interactive viewing/ comands. that's SDV/ MOD/ PPV which can be any channels above 20 depending on your headend- all are different , from one city to the next

WHERE ARE YOU?

Someone in your area might be on here with more data

It's dumb that tivo and others didn't build them in.

In NE North Carolina. I only have the Starter Pkg at the moment so, do you feel i need the TA? Guess i could get it tomorrow when i pick up a different CC, if that's actually the problem and not a "block filter" on the line as i and you had suspected.