Rookie

Network Tuning Device And Window Media Center

Now that Microsoft has killed WMC is there a way to view saved recorded programs with another PVR like NextPVR?

4 REPLIES
Contributor

Re: Network Tuning Device And Window Media Center

WMC is far from dead. While true, it will not be included in Windows 10 and no further development will occur , it will continue to be "supported" through the life of Windows 8, another 7-8 years. Whether Microsoft continues to proved guide data that it receives from zap2it is another question, but guide data sourcing alternatives do and will exist.

The same is true to some degree for CableCards themselves. Their replacement will come along, but support for their technology will exist into the foreseeable future.

Valued Participant

Silicon Dust has a solution that will work with a NAS device and it supposedly can play back protected content. There is a kickstarter for it called HDHomeRun DVR. There is a subscription, but it is only $30.00/year. 

Rookie

This sounds like a viable alternative. If it pans out. That is the thing about Kickstarter there is no guarantee .

Valued Participant

I have pledged for this kickstarter and I think it will pan out. It has already been funded and could be close for plex support. Protected content streaming must be done overy encrypted wifi such as wpa2 or ethernet. It will even have copy once content on Mac and android as well as windows. I do admit silicon dust cannot guarantee but you have to stay positive.