Valued Participant

Cablecard Ordering

Just chatted with a TWC agent asking about the cost of getting a cablecard. If I try to add it to my account it says the monthly cost is $2.50 but they want to charge a "one time charge" of $24.99 for "additional outlet(s). I asked the agent about that and she said that if the CC isn't you're primary device, which it wouldn't be for me because I have the WH DVR package, the cost is $4.00 per month. No explanation about the ridiculous $24.99 charge since I already have numerous outlets. I guess that's just another way to gouge me for more money. I'll go by the local office and she what they have to say about the cost.

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Cablecard Ordering

[ Edited ]

don't you also need the tuning adapter? is the 24.99 the install charge for a tech to come out?

Valued Participant

[ Edited ]

I think the $24.99 is just for connecting another device to the system, a one time charge. If you try to order a card online line and choose to have a tech come to install it they charge another $39.99 for that. I went by and picked up a card and tuning adapter this morning. Now I'm waiting on my Tivo to arrive.

This is what you see if you order it online:

MONTHLY CHARGES
CableCARD™$2.50
MONTHLY CHARGES*
$2.50
ONE-TIME CHARGES
Additional Outlet(s)$24.99
TOTAL ONE-TIME CHARGES*
$24.99

Installation options available to you:

I’ll pick up my Easy Connect Kit(s) at a Time Warner Cable Store.

Free
Here are the TWC Stores near you.
7928 Council Place
Matthews, NC 28105
See Map
316 E Morehead St
Charlotte, NC 28202
See Map
3140 W Arrowood Rd
Charlotte, NC 28273
See Map

Mail my Easy Connect Kit(s) to my home.

Free

Schedule an appointment for a technician to install my services.

$39.99
Review Your New Services
Monthly Charges
TV Edit 
CableCARD™$2.50 per Month
Total Monthly Charges
$2.50
One-Time Charges
Easy Connect Pick-up FeeFree
Additional Outlet(s)$24.99
Total One-Time Charges
$24.99

Expert

the ez kit has a 2 way splitter and 2 or 3 rg6 jumper cables, right?

Valued Participant

I have no clue what is in the kit. I picked up a card and tuning adapter and after much trial and tribulation and several phone calls I got the TiVo to work. Today when the TiVo Minis I ordered came in I ran in to another problem. The Roamio Plus lets you set up a MoCA network with its built-in adapter. After not being able to connect the Mini to the network I called TiVo for help and discovered the problem is the FWD frequency range of the amplifier in the box outside. The range is 52-1002Mhz and the TiVo needs at least 1200Mhz. I called TWC and she set up an appointment to come install a higher range amp on Sat. About a half hour later I got a call from TWC and said my "problem" had been escalated. When I explained the problem to the guy on the phone he asked me, I'm not kidding here, "What is a TiVo?" At this point I said please keep the appointment setup for Sat. and I'll talk to the tech.

Valued Participant

This is what I need but since I'm moving I'm not spending this kind of money.

http://www.parts-express.com/electroline-eda2900mma-8-port-rf-catv-distribution-amplifier--182-569

Valued Participant

TWC doesn't have an amplifier that passes MoCA signals above the range of the amp I have. I'll have to buy my own or just wait until I move in January.

Valued Participant

Turns out the problem connecting to the TiVo created MoCA network had nothing to do with the amplifier. Using the passthrough setup for the tuning adapter was blocking the connection. After adding a splitter to the cable and sending one output to the tuning adapter and the other to the TiVo, along with the usb connecting the TA and the TiVo, the TiVo Minis were able to connect to the TiVo MoCA network.