Expert

Re: Cable card vs DVR box

You have to use TWC's tuning adaptor or set top box.

Cablecard is a format, and you probably need a compatable device from TWC for what you are paying for. TWC has no one size fits all as all their systems are different, locally.

Example are the silicon dust  boxes of which I know of 3 different versions that are "cablecard compatable"

The TWC DTA is 99 cents a month....(maybe free for the first year)

Observer

[ Edited ]

I am trying to clarify the technology here: is this "tuning adapter" the same as the DTA device that was sent to those of us in areas with full digital encryption? So that channels have to be changed using that device? I was thinking of getting the HDHomerun Prime with CableCard for delayed viewing on my computer. But if the tuning adapter means that I cannot change channels on the computer software, then it will not serve my purpose.

Spectrum Employee

The tuning adapter is provided by twc at no cost. You plug in the coax cable into the tuning adapter, and then plug in the cable out to your tivo/cablecard device. It also uses a usb adapter to plug into tivo/cable card device. 

-
I am a Charter employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent Charter’s position, strategies, or opinions.
Spectrum Employee

[ Edited ]

The DTA that you are talking about is a different device, that's a digital transport adapter, which allows you to watch channels that have been switched to digital format. 

The tuning adapter in reference here is different. you change channels through your tivo/pc/cable card device. 

http://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/support/tv/Hookup%20Diagram/Tivo_TuningA...

jcshipper wrote:

I am trying to clarify the technology here: is this "tuning adapter" the same as the DTA device that was sent to those of us in areas with full digital encryption? So that channels have to be changed using that device? I was thinking of getting the HDHomerun Prime with CableCard for delayed viewing on my computer. But if the tuning adapter means that I cannot change channels on the computer software, then it will not serve my purpose.

-
I am a Charter employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent Charter’s position, strategies, or opinions.
Observer

ujmnz wrote:

The DTA that you are talking about is a different device, that's a digital transport adapter, which allows you to watch channels that have been switched to digital format. 

The tuning adapter in reference here is different. you change channels through your tivo/pc/cable card device. 

http://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/support/tv/Hookup%20Diagram/Tivo_TuningA...

Thank you so much for the clarification. I am glad to know that this is a feasible option before investing in a Win desktop and HD HomeRun device. Smiley Happy
Expert

You also need to get the cablecard from TWC @ $2.50 a month for the SD box to work. from their info page, aug 2013... unless it is wrong:

What equipment do I need to use a CableCARD?

A CableCARD ready device, and in some cases, a tuning adapter (tuning adapter needed with the following devices – TiVo Series 3, HD and HD XL; TiVo Premiere and Premiere XL; Retail MoxiHD; OCCUR devices like ATI TV Wonder™, Ceton InfiniTV 4™ and SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime™)

How much does a CableCARD cost?

$2.50 per month

Where do I get a CableCARD? How do I get it installed?

CableCARDs are available from your local TWC office. We may need to have a technician come out for the initial installation, but in some cases they can be mailed out for a self-install.

I’m not getting channel X, what do I do? Who do I contact for support of CableCARDs?

Has your CableCARD-ready device been rebooted? If you have a tuning adapter, has that been rebooted with the usb cable disconnected, and then reconnected? If so, please call the CableCARD support desk at 1-866-532-2598.

How do I order OnDemand/PPV content with CableCARD-equipped devices?

Some CableCARD-equipped devices are UDCP is “one-way”, in other words, it cannot communicate back to our cable system. As such, you cannot use interactive services such as OnDemand, Pay-Per-View, TWC’s program guide, Parental Controls, Music Choice, Start Over and Look Back.

With a CableCARD-equipped Tru2way® device you will have access to all the Time Warner Cable interactive services

For more information, visit : http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/tv/cablecard.html

Observer

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

You also need to get the cablecard from TWC @ $2.50 a month for the SD box to work. from their info page, aug 2013... unless it is wrong:

What equipment do I need to use a CableCARD?

A CableCARD ready device, and in some cases, a tuning adapter (tuning adapter needed with the following devices – TiVo Series 3, HD and HD XL; TiVo Premiere and Premiere XL; Retail MoxiHD; OCCUR devices like ATI TV Wonder™, Ceton InfiniTV 4™ and SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime™)

Yes, thank you. I hope that they don't change the price on the CableCards anytime soon. Smiley Happy

Since I am now in a fully digital *and* fully encrypted service area, I wanted to make sure that the mentioned "tuning adapter" would not make channel tuning by the TiVo or OCCUR device impossible. I was unsure because all the info on tuning adapters and CableCards referred to Switched Digital Video. And I was not sure how full encryption would fit into the mix.

Expert

it's a mess .. TWC and others started misusing common abreviations for items they aren't.

SD video is standard deffinition however SD tuners are switched digital which may output HD via the HDMI port

Sorry for using the SD abreviation when I meant Silicon Dust,the MFg of the homerun stuff.

All of TWC is going encrypted qam but it's rollout timing is staggered as it requires all the cable ready stuff and analog cable boxes be replaced with something that does encrypted QAM on that system first!

Anything else will be IP based and require a cable modem( which is also qam but on different channels)

jsm
Rookie

I'm trying to start a new topic, but see nothing that says "new message".  I found this "reply".  Is anyone able to help?

Expert

go to the root of the threads "TWC" and click on a topic, It allows you to start a new one when logged in

If you're questioning whether a tivo has full functionality with a DTA, it requires one with a serial cable between them so you can communicate to the dta via computer. The DTA's don't have that by themselves, or at least some of them.