Spectator

BYO Motorola MediaCipher M-Card

[ Edited ]

I have a few questions:

1) Is anyone using a Motorla MediaCipher M-Card?

2) In NYC?

3) With which device (I am interested in the HomerunHD and Ceton?

4) Has anyone purchased their own (eBay or the like) and met with success?

5) If you BYO, is there any reason for it not to work / pitfalls to avoid?

6) Are there any good postings (URLs please) that would help when working with TWC personnel?

7) Is there a good URL that describes how to verify that M-Card is properly working?

Please post if your experience if it relevant to the Motorola MediaCipher  M-Card.  Observations and actionable guidance is appreciated.  Thank you.

8 REPLIES
Expert

Re: BYO Motorola MediaCipher M-Card

[ Edited ]

TWC Only rents out Cablecards as they are progranmmed for the system you're on and are TWC's property. If someone has one for sale that they claim works on TWC, it's STOLEN.

Spectator

Thank you for the response / insight.  I hope you and others will address my other line item questions.  The answers will not only help me, but the rest of the commnity Smiley Happy

As I understand these decryption devices are serial numbered and are system agnostic (a card from another cable provider will work in teh TWC system).  Does anyone have experience to the contrary? 

Expert

[ Edited ]

Please reread my answer.

They are only rented out by TWC and are for a specific head end/ subscriber node to prevent theft of service. period.

Anything that has a seller claim works is STOLEN and TWC will cancel your service for life.

There is a cablecard support phone number provided you have received onr from twc by mail. The local stores do not have ones that work in many cases because they are programmed for the wrong head end/ node, the local stores have no programming or testing capability and ni knowledge on anything advanced short of handing out boxes and collecting bill payments. Their fix is to send a technician.

Spectator

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the clarification.  I certainly have no intention of engaging in questionable activity.  Much like buying your own cable-modem: my intent was to (properly) purchase hardware so that I do not have to rent the M-card.  There are many for sale on eBay coming from surplus sources.

Just out of technical curiosity: are the encryption modules configurable / programmed by the cable provider? or are their serial numbers just registered in the cable provider network?  I imagine this is how they 'marry' an M-card to a specific node

Valued Participant

CableCARD's are tied to that particular system. Only Motorola cards work in Motorola systems while Cisco cards work in Cisco systems.
Spectator

Interesting.  I am not surprised at the lack of interoperability between Cisco and Motorola systems, however, there must no driving reason for interoperability.  It will be interesting to see whether the service technician shows up with a Motorola cablecard or another brand.

Valued Participant

Interoperability between Cisco and Motorola boxes can be taken care of by the cablecard. While tied to a particular system, it is separable, so unless Time warner installs Simulcrypt, there is really no need to use a different encryption system as to them, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Simulcrypt requires extra equipment, costs money and breaks compatibilty with some ancient cablecard tuners. I do expect Charter to eventually use it for a future set top box which uses a propreitary downloadable system that does not use cablecards. This system is quite into the future. Techs carry what is available at the local office. TWC does not mix and match different encryption systems. 

Expert

You need to rent one from TWC as well as a Tuning Adapter (TA), period