Contributor

Pairing CableCard to replacement tuner

I am preparing to replace my failing Ceton card with a new card of the same model.  It does not appear that this device change can be done using the online CableCard activation form. I have TWC's CableCard telephone number I have used in the past when I initially setup the system. Does anyone know if any of these numbers are still valid for CableCard activation?

TWC:

(866) 606-5880

(866) 606-5889
(866) 532-2598
Charter Communications:

(888) 438-2427

9 REPLIES
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Pairing CableCard to replacement tuner

Call the number, see if anyone answers!

You may not need to do anything since the cablecard and TA still have the same mac id's on your account. They're basicly the whole registration for encrypted and sdv qam.... Clear qam doesn't need anything.

But first, verify that your signal levels are still good before you replace the tuner card. And that there isn't some ap/tsr hoarding processor bandwidth.  TWCTV here was unuseable last night and my TWC cable box has had a lot of little studders yet the modem and amazon  streams seem fine!

How are you planning on  running this with the soon to be dropped windows media center?

Just got the planned Firefox drop of support for Vista and XP notice for Sept 2017...

Contributor

I am absolutely certain that it actually is the Ceton card that is failing,as confirmed by its own diagnostics. That machine is dedicated to be only a W7 Media Center platform serving four extenders. It cares not that Microsoft will no longer support it. Even if Microsoft shuts down its guide data interface, alternatives do exist.

Expert

drop in the replacement card... It might not need to be software reinstalled.

I would wonder if there are firmware version upgrades needed and still available.

Check on Win 7

Contributor

I have already installed the replacment card my bench W7 platform, updated its firmware and ran a diagnostics check. Current firmware comes from Ceton, not Microsoft. The software is current. While it may function, without the MAC address of the tuner card being paired to the CableCard, it will lose its channel associations as soon as the channel map expires.

Expert

If/when it does, call the C.C. support number for the MAC change. My understanding was that when a TA is used with a C.C., the PC's capture card mac is no longer needed. 

See the other post on Spectrum not allowing cable cards... You do know that the FCC's authority is being challenged by the current administration and taking steps backwards in consumer advocacy...advocating monopolies and mergers. 

Community Manager

@twcsa4jim

1-(866) 532-2598 is a current, valid number for  CableCard support.  

James M.
Social Media Customer Care
Community Forums Moderator

Contributor

Just a note to say "thank you." The reps answering that number really do know what they are doing. Calling them, they determined that my tuning adaptor was the root cause of my problems, not the tuner itself. A replacement arrived via FedEx and all is good once again.

Community Manager

@twcsa4jim

Glad to hear it and thanks for sharing your positive experience.  CableCard is highly specialized group with much experience.  Let us known anytime we can be of assistance.  

James M.
Social Media Customer Care
Community Forums Moderator

Expert

In my first reply... "But first, verify that your signal levels are still good before you replace the tuner card."

That includes the TA which is nothing more than a usb connected cable modem and needs the usual -10 to + 10 ds and US lower than +50dBmv and s/n must be better than 34 dB.

It should be in the Ceton diagnostics.

If your levels are marginal, the new TA will have issues as well. You must use the TA's internal splitter to feed the Ceton or SD devices and not a seperate splitter. That adds both a 3.5 dB loss to the TA and with the open port, messes up it's impedance making the splitter unreliable.

There were early instructions that were wrong