Spectator

Cablecard not supported by Spectrum

I've been a TWC customer since 1995. I called TWC last week to question my latest bill, and  was  offered a Spectrum  package deal for less per month than I'm paying now (at least for 12 months). The package also offered more TV content than I'm currently getting. I was ready to accept, but for some reason asked the rep for an assurance that I could continue using my Tivo with a cablecard. I was surprised when told that Spectrum did not support cablecards, and that I would not be able to use Tivo with Spectrum services. I love the Tivo, so did not accept the package. My question is whether this is a local issue ( I live in the Winston-Salem, NC area), or if it is a global Spectrum position. Seems like a giant step backward to me.

9 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Cablecard not supported by Spectrum

[ Edited ]

MichaelJ wrote:

I've been a TWC customer since 1995. I called TWC last week to question my latest bill, and  was  offered a Spectrum  package deal for less per month than I'm paying now (at least for 12 months). The package also offered more TV content than I'm currently getting. I was ready to accept, but for some reason asked the rep for an assurance that I could continue using my Tivo with a cablecard. I was surprised when told that Spectrum did not support cablecards, and that I would not be able to use Tivo with Spectrum services. I love the Tivo, so did not accept the package. My question is whether this is a local issue ( I live in the Winston-Salem, NC area), or if it is a global Spectrum position. Seems like a giant step backward to me.

The CSR on the phone is in error.  By law, you must be able to use your own certified cable-card compliant equipment.

in my market, you would be charged $1 per month for the card, and an additional $1 per month for a secure connection fee.  ($2 / mo / card).  Check the rate card for your area.

Here is the FCC's take on the issue:

https://www.fcc.gov/general/cablecards

Ask to speak to a supervisor if/when you call back.

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

@MichaelJ

I apologize for the frustration and inaccurate information.  We are still providing CableCard services, and there is no plan to discontinue this service.  We would like to look into this for you and ensure the agent that gave you inaccurate information has correct information. Please send a private message to Forums_Help with your account information so we can assist.  

James M.
Social Media Customer Care
Community Forums Moderator

Spectator

James, I sent you a private message with the requested information.

Thanks..

I nearly switched from my TWC package to a Spectrum plan with a few more channels and 60Mpbs speed, all at a lower cost than I've been paying.  But then the sales rep told me that I had to return my cable cards and tuning adapters and get "HD boxes" from the local TWC/SPectrum store.  I said I'm a TiVo user and these are required to continue using TiVo.  They basically said I was wrong and that the "HD boxes would connect to both my TVs and my TiVo units"  Obviously these sales reps know nothing about how TiVos work and are only interested in selling upgrades and cable boxes.  No thank you Spectrum - you need to get your act together or you're going to lose a lot of customers.

Rookie

I just got off the phone with a CSR who gave me the same information about my TIVO devices not working with Spectrum. As the conversation progressed I got the distinct feeling that she was pushing me to switch to the Spectrum TV/Internet bundle. I'm ready to go dsl and DirecTV.
Spectator

[ Edited ]

Just an update. No reply received from James M. yet regarding cablecard support. I'm assuming it's because Spectrum is not supporting them.

Edit: I just noticed that I did receive a reply from Customer Support. They stated that Spectrum does indeed support cable cards at the rate of $2/month. Now I just need them to get that message to the local Spectrum team here in Winston-Salem, NC.

Highlighted
Newcomer

I'm running into the same issue, right now. I've been on livechat for an hour, and transferred to five (YES , FIVE) different people, all between billing and technical support.

Unbelievable. 

Rookie

I talked with a CSR named Jessie today and he assured me that my cablecads and difital adapters will still work with my cable service change. I had just called the first time  to drop my internet service from TWC and that set the clock in motion to switch me to Spectrum services. I wound up with 5 cable boxes delivered and still sitting in my garage. I was going to switch to Directv when Jessie called today. He said I could keep my legacy service with TWC even though I'm dropping the internet service. He also said that there was no need to ship me the cable boxes as all my equipment would still work with Spectrum.  He set up my account to keep the promotional pricing on my cable tv package until they expire. He said I would probably want to look at the Spectrum package at that time, but once again, all my equipment will still work with Spectrum. Don't believe the overzealous sales people that want you to switch out so they can get equipment fees on your account. Thanks to Jessie and those like him.   ;-D

Rookie

As a side note, Jessie did say that the digital adapters will be charged a monthly fee after October, 2017. I knew that already and will decommission those old tvs before I pay $15 a month to watch them.