Highlighted
Browser

Cable card vs DVR box

I have been told I can not get the same channels with a cable card that I can get with the DVR box supplied by TWC. Is this the case?

21 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Cable card vs DVR box

On some systems, yes. "Cablecard" used to be a specific device, it is now a communication protocol .

Not all cablecard protocol devices can decode and distribute video to all your devices, I'll bet you'll find that  list is different with dvr's as well.

"Cablecard" was a method to allow a subscriber to get only what they pay for, and there are system specific options as to from where and to what and if they're allowed to be retransmitted, recorded, etc on a per channel basis. Not all the data is duplicated between it, DVR, cable box, DTA, basic cable and the streaming via internet sources. Some is controlled by the program source and could be on a per program basis.And could be even limited to specific types of TV mfg's as well. Hope it never comes to that.... There's already a rift between Microsoft and Apple devices.

TWC presently has 5 different program sources that are not uniform and vary depending what head end you're on. 

Newcomer

I have TiVo boxes and cable cards with tuning selectors provided by TW. They work great and you get all the right channels, but you lose access to the TW On Demand features.
Expert

Tivo is a standalone dvr and won't pickup "all" the cable channels, It's why a cable box or cablecard format tuner is required. The TWC DVR's have either an internal Cable card or a cable tuner in them, again, not all devives work on all TWC systems, it's somewhat head end specific unlike Dish and DirecTV that only have restrictions on what local channels you get via satellite. If you want all the local subchannels, you need to use an  ATSC receiver on an outside antenna, same as with on cable. No one has to carry everything anymore!

Helper

It's not a simple answer, you will get a lot of the channels but on Demand Channels you will not get nor any channel that uses Switched Video IP(which is a two way protocol that specifically asks for the channel from the cable plant and sends the channel specifically to your box) My advice would be to call them and ask which channels are NOT available with the CableCard. Hope this helps. I have noticed that some of the shopping channels use Switched Video IP
Spectrum Employee

You will be able to get all channels you subscribe to as long as you pick up a free digital tuning adapter to get the switch digital video channels. I have a cable card on pc and get all the channels.

The only thing not available as mentioned before is on demand shows/movies.
-
I am a Charter employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent Charter’s position, strategies, or opinions.
Browser

[ Edited ]

Perhaps a little more info from me will narrow this down some. My current subscription is Preferred service with DVR. I have one TV connected to the DVR and get (supposedly) 200 channels, many with HD. I would like to have the same service without the DVR on another TV that is connected to the system but has limited channels.

It is my understanding that I can obtain a box that will accept a "cable card" and get increased service on tht TV. I don't care about on demand on that set. But, will I get all the HD channels on the second TV?

I don't think I need the digital adapter since the TV is digital.

I really hope I am being clear, because I don't understand all this. New technology in cable service has passed me by. Man Wink

Expert

No current or past TV will do encrypted qam and it's why you need a dta or a cable box or something with cablecard technology. Some sets do clear Qam, but TWC only has a couple clear channels (system dependant)

All cable ready TV's, analog and digital are pretty much useless as the cable systems are not using those formats or getting rid of them this year.

The encrypted qam gives them total access to all subscriber eqt so they can turn off any or all channels without having to send out a tech.

All TWC systems are different and there is no guarantee of duplicate programming.

Spectrum Employee

jshaw42 wrote:

Perhaps a little more info from me will narrow this down some. My current subscription is Preferred service with DVR. I have one TV connected to the DVR and get (supposedly) 200 channels, many with HD. I would like to have the same service without the DVR on another TV that is connected to the system but has limited channels.

It is my understanding that I can obtain a box that will accept a "cable card" and get increased service on tht TV. I don't care about on demand on that set. But, will I get all the HD channels on the second TV?

I don't think I need the digital adapter since the TV is digital.

I really hope I am being clear, because I don't understand all this. New technology in cable service has passed me by. Man Wink

If you get a cable card with a tuning adapter, you will have all the same channels as a regular box with the exception of on demand/ppv. I have a cable card in my computer and am able to see all the same channels, SD/HD, all the ones that come with my subscription. 

-
I am a Charter employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent Charter’s position, strategies, or opinions.
Browser

[ Edited ]

Thanks, ujmnz. Any recommendations for a tuning adapter?