18 REPLIES
Expert

Re: motorola tuning adapter

[ Edited ]

It WILL NOT work with the usb disconnected. A TA is simplyt a 2 way splitter with a cable modem connected to the splitter and a usb only data connection.

The pct-vc-5u   is a bidirectional unity gain amp to/from the 4 lower ports, the left one allows power to be diplexed instead of using a seperate cable to the power only port.  there should be devices or terminating resistors on the other 3 ports

Other than 2 Tivo sets, what's on the other 2 ports?

Are there surge arrestors on the coax? If so, theymay be the problem

However, the VOIP port is a  5 dB loss port in both directions  Knowing that, I can estimate the TA's are seeing a +1.5 dBmv downstream level and are doing 42-46 dBmv upstream.

HOWEVER, the modems corrected /uncorrected levels might be high.

Browser

Will try that. I will add though that its plugged into a brand new surge protector....the only other thing i need to rule out is the usb coming from the tivo. I may try to hook it up to rf only without usb for awhile to see what happens.
Spectrum Employee

Find the common variable...which in this case is the power outlet and power cord. Most likely not the cord unless you can see visual damage on it. That outlet may be frying/shorting out the TAs. Next one you get I would try a different power outlet and swap out the power cord with the new one you get.

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Browser

Yes it has. The same power cable too. I dont bother taking the new cable out of the box. Just plug the new TA to it
Spectrum Employee

No, the one inside should be plugged in there. Its not weather resistant. So the TA starts to work when first setup, but after a few days dies and never returns to life? Have they been connected to the same power outlet for each device that has gone bad?

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Browser

On outside of house its pct-vc-5u bypass drop amplifier 5-42/54-1002 mhz unity gain 6kv, 3ka surge withstand on all rf ports. For some reason there is a blank on the power in spot. Looks like the thing the put in the living room should be plugged in out here
Browser

Plugged in the wall is pct international ac/dc adapter model apa1260515uhr. Has a rf cable into a splitter. Splitter says antronix arpi-2000 power inserter 5mhz-1002mhz. After speaking to a cablecard tech today, he says, i live between town A and town B, my address is town A but my feed comes from town B. Im getting the TA from town A which is set up for motorola TA. He thinnks town B may be cisco, but wasnt real sure. Investigating with a senior tech and calling me back in a bit. Why do the TA not work if u pick it up from a twc shop ? The cable cards work just fine, its the TA
Expert

cyatewey wrote:
There is an amplified spliter they installed the last time they was there. Its a box on outside of house. Theres a port for modem which is hooked to modem line. Then i have 4 other lines running to various places. One being my living room, where the tivo is. They have a splitter on that with a rf plugged into the wall to amp the signal. If i take that off, all the tvs in my home go fuzzy.

That isn't a splitter, it's a power injector

What is the exact model # of the amplifier?  It should say active return, not passive return

At one time we were told that the TA and the cablecard had to be matched sets... and when calling twc you should use the CM mac address on the TA. It may also be listed in My services

You also cannot get woorking TA's and cablecards from a local office, they must be shipped to you!

Browser

There is an amplified spliter they installed the last time they was there. Its a box on outside of house. Theres a port for modem which is hooked to modem line. Then i have 4 other lines running to various places. One being my living room, where the tivo is. They have a splitter on that with a rf plugged into the wall to amp the signal. If i take that off, all the tvs in my home go fuzzy. But again, if its a signal problem, then wouldn't you be able to get the TA to come back online at some point ? Once they go off, they never come back, which makes me think something goes bad inside the TA. But whats causing this is the big question ? Is it just bad product design ? I had a twc dvr for 12 years with no problems. They have to have some type of TA built inside to recieve the switched digital signal, right ?
Expert

[ Edited ]

Can you describe the splitter?

Are there more than one and how many coax connected devices do you have?

Is the modem on the first 2 way?

It's possible the TA's are at max upstream....

7db of more loss than the modem which is at

Power Level46 dBmV 45 dBmV 48 dBmV 48 dBmV 
Upstream Modulation[3] QPSK
[3] 16QAM

[3] QPSK
[2] 16QAM

[3] QPSK
[3] 16QAM

[3] QPSK
[3] 16QAM

would be 55 dBmv  which is too high and might work some of the time and not reliably.

WHAT I WOULD TRY IS TO REMOVE/BYPASS THE 2 WAY SPLITTER THAT FEEDS  THE 2 TA'S SO THAT ONLY ONE IS CONNECTED. THAT WILL GIVE YOU 3.5 DB  BETTER SIGNAL...

IF IT WORKS, TWC NEEDS TO COME OUT AND INSTAL A 4 PORT ACTIVE RETURN SPLITTER AMPLIFIER.

Nothing I see on the data is due to "Overutilization"

I see a bunch of errors due to TWC not repairing/ maintaining the outside plant- lines and amps on the streets

If a lot of customers have bad/ marginal levels, they slow down the entire node, TWC has been extremely brain dead and has no comprehension of their haphazard conversion from analog ntsc to digital QAM in all areas of the US

So is TWC now blaming the cablecards themselves?

That is a possibility, but I thought the TA's would still go to a steady, not flashing led.

The cablecard with a TA should operate like a cable box and not need telephone calls to reinitialize.