6 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: given the rental fee for a Tuning Adapter - can I buy one?

You can always get a Roku streaming video player and use it instead of paying a rental fee for TW's cable boxes or digital tuning adapters. I have a Roku player; bought it shortly after learning that TW soon will be requiring the use of cable boxes by all subscribers to receive anything. With the TWC TV app, the Roku box receives everything I now get on my cable service (TW expanded basic, near Cleveland, Ohio).

I don't think you can purchase your own cable boxes yet. Time Warner's HD cable boxes will not operate until they are unlocked by the installation technician; however, the digital tuning adapters (DTAs) may be activated by the subscriber by calling a toll-free number. (See TW's installation instructional video for details.) Be aware, however, that it could take as long as 30 minutes to activate the adapter. Your TV picture will appear as soon as the adapter has been successfully activated.

Expert

call the cablecard hotline and see if they'll allow it to be used...

Observer

the laws should be changed so that anything rented can be owned.  TWC is driving people into poverty with their gangster rate hikes. We the people have to do something to gain financial independence. 

I have seen Cisco STA1520s for sale. Should not be a problem for TWC to configure it. 

Expert

Same as modems, while you own the modem, only the cable company configures it. You only have access to the router portion(hopefully) that you own.

TA's are nothing more than a simple docsis 1/2 cable modem, they as well as DTA's and cable boxes/ dvr's are not allowed as consumer owned on TWC while on some other systems they are.

The only TA I know of is the Cisco 1520

There's a problem, as all mfg's do not share common standards and the cable co's can only use a handfull

Observer

i meant 'configure' not 'program'. I am about to buy a router/modem to avoid the insane $8.00 (+tax/fee) monthly on the router and I will have to configure that also. Probably $10/mth after taxes&fees = $120/yr. 

So, I want to save the outrageous $2.75 tuning adapter fee = $40/yr

heck, I'd like to buy my own cablecard as well! $2.50/month = $36/yr

add the 3 items = $176/yr in nonsense = close to $900 for 5 years in hidden costs. 

help me defeat this outrage. 

Expert

Good question as to buying one!

User programable? No, like a cable box, the cable company controls what channels you get vs what you pay for.

Like cablecards, the cable co owns them

Observer

given the rental fee for a Tuning Adapter - can I buy one?

TWC is now charging $2.75 a month for the tuning adapter. With tax and fees this will be $36-$40 a year. Over 5 years, a customer wastes $180-200 just for this small device, equivalent to 1 month of TWC! 

Can a customer buy one as we buy various boxes to eliminate the cablebox?

what brands does TWC use? Cisco STA1520? Cisco DTA 50?  Can I configure it myself upon purchase?