8 REPLIES
Browser

Re: Upgrade to Tivo Romio worth the pain ?

Got the Romio installed with cable card and tunning adapter. This was the most painless install yet of a system with cable card. It seems TWC has gotten much better at it then before. Hopefully this system will be stable for a few years.

Participant

Well done, that is a good price and a good choice. Johnp makes good points. I overcame the third by having TWC install a (Free) splitter-amp in my line and it works great. It also helps with internet connection (although I am confused as to why given its purpose is TV). Hope yours is now up and running. Have my Plus now over a year.

Browser

This is debatable...

Most of the TWC support folks you initially dial on the phone are clueless.  If you can get to a 2nd level support person, you'll eventually find someone that gets it..

3 important pieces to the puzzle:

• Cable Card - These are region-specific i.e Scientific Atlanta doesn't work where Motorolla is called for....
  • Turning Adaptor - Needed for some of the channels - Needs to match the Cable Card
  • Enough Signal - The Turning Adaptor won't sync if you don't have enough signal coming into the house.

Setting up my TIVO was a nightmare and it really didn't need to be.  It isn't all that hard.  In my case, not enought signal coming in to the house so nothing was going to work.  They sent me the wong cable card for my region so it wasn;t going to work and it was different that the one needed to match my tuning adaptor...  Not that I didn;t spend hours messing with this... Eventually, I got someone on the phone that knew what he was doing and got it solved.  I have since ditched the TIVO.  I don't have a DVR either.. Most of what I want is availabe on demand.

Good luck!

Browser

just ordered Tivo Roamio with lifetime service for 299, hopefully this will work and allow me to retire TivoHD

https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/supersavings

RV
Newcomer

Works great. I've had mine for almost a year.
Rookie

I was hoping you wer online MsRaye.  The tuning adapter is a MRT type.  Will it need a firmware update?

Expert

Cable cards and tuning adapters shouldn't be device dependant

Rookie

I hope so, I just placed my order.  I have the TiVO premiere currantly and was wondering if I need a service call to switch over to the Romio or if I could swap out the card card myself.  Has anybody got experience in this regard?

Highlighted
Browser

Upgrade to Tivo Romio worth the pain ?

I am looking at upgrading to Tivo Romio Plus with lifetime service plan. Does Timewarner support the 6 tunners any issues that I should consider before moving to Romio from Tivo HD Series 2.