12 REPLIES
Observer

Re: Tuning Adapter - stuck in B'Cast only

Hi - 

I'm the original poster, and thought I would update you and everyone on my status.

It took 2 months, but I finally got a "Foreman" to come look at the situation - and he was the only one who was able to figure out what the real issue was.  It took 8 'techs' before we got the foreman - even though one was scheduled 3 times.  I finally put my foot down when the last tech showed without a foreman and refused to let him in until he got a foreman to agree to come by that day.   3 hours later the foreman (and supervisor) were there with the tech of the day and it took the foreman about 15 min to decide it was a signal issue coming into my building (it was not stable enough to allow the tuning adapters to lock).  

They put an order in for an outside tech to check the service into the building (I did not need to be home for that) and about 2 days later my tuning adapters locked in (no longer in b'cast only).  All my channels reappeared.

We ended up fighting Spectrum for a decent credit to the account (once I stopped my autopay) - although not enough in my opinion considering the number of hours I spent waiting with and without techs to solve this problem.

My advice - demand earlier that a foreman comes (and a foreman not a supervisor - there's a difference I didnt realize at first).

Newcomer

I am having the same issue.  No luck with two techs and countless people on the phone and online chat.    I am in NYC with a Tivo 4 , Cisco cablecard, and Scientific America TA.  

This has been going on for months and is incredibly frustrating.

Expert

do you have the output port of your TA conneected to the Cetrons cable in?

Copy and paste your modems signal level page, how close to +52 dBmv are you?

The TA is just a cable modem with a usb rather than ethernet port, it has an internal 3.5 dB loss 2 way splitter built in and should not be behind extra splitters. The out port must be used.

If you are also using MOCA, there are issues.

Are you getting encrypted qam channels? If not, the cablecard is at fault and perhaps having TWC send a new one out will fix both n/a issues., The local stores don't have ones that work.

Also verify the MAC with TWC, if wrong, the TA won't work.

Rookie

I'm obviously just speculating, but that 6-week timeframe you mention is close-but-not-quite the same as my issue, so I'm wondering if it might be related to whatever staged rollout they're doing for the Spectrum merger.

I just got off the phone with the TW CableCARD support line - talked to "Matt" - and he seemed fairly confident that this is likely an issue with my TA, so I will be heading to my local TW center and attempting to swap it out.  I know that you said you tried this already, so I'm a little skeptical, but we'll see how this goes...

Observer

I'm in NYC - so I wonder if "my area" is having an issue is actually a lot larger than I thought.

I'm still having the problem, (I think we're going on 6 weeks now..)  Hopefully your's is a different and more easily resolved issue.

Rookie

bethzellen - what area are you in?  I am in the Milwaukee met area, and having the exact same issue with my TA that sits in front of my Ceton  6-ETH unit.  The Ceton page shows the TA's upstream status as "Upstream not connecting", and the detailed diagnostic page shows the B'Cast Only status.

At first, I thought it was an upstream level issue since my cable modem was also cutting out intermittently and struggling to reconnect in the upstream phase.  I had both units connected to outputs of a PCT amp that had a Passive Return channel, so I swapped it out with one that had an Active Return.  That fixed the cable modem issue, but not the TA.

I planned on calling the CableCard line, but found this forum thread first.  I will still call them to see if I get the same info that you did, and if there's any update on a fix.

Thanks for confirming I'm not going crazy!  Smiley Happy

Observer

Finally confirmed by the cablecard team yesterday that it is a tuning adapter software problem, and they are waiting on the manufacturer to correct the issue.

It is apparently affecting anyone in my area using tuning adapters.  We're going on two weeks now, and they are unsure how long it will take for the fix.

Expert

When you go into the tivo's diagnostic level page, does it show the TA's levels and what are they?

Is the Cable card's Mac addy correct?

Has any attempt been made to send you a new cablecard?

This really sounds like a billing mistake.. Have you changed any services lately? Check your bills.

Observer

Yup - they were my first try (my first call).  I always start with that team since they can usually diagnose/fix any cablecard or tuning adapter issues.  They are also the ONLY TWC employees who don't act all shocked that I have TIVO.  

They verified all my CC and TA ids.

The TA do show as "not connected" on my TWC online account.  But no one can figure out why.

Expert

ok, you have plenty good levels on the modem, the TA's should be able to handle a  2 or 4 way splitter after it.

Have you verified the TA and cablecard mac addresses with TWC? Talked to the cablecard support group?

Best is m-f 9-5, hopefully tou'll get a US employee then