15 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Starting off on the wrong foot

leave it connected

Valued Participant

MsRaye wrote:

As for the TA, probably anything beyond the starter cable package will require the TA.  I don't think you'll get a guide either unless it's present but that costs an extra couple dollars a month as well

Mark this as problem solved.

MsRaye, so being that i only get the Starter Pkg. at the moment and don't need the guide, should i leave the TA hooked up as it is now or take it out. Could be used later though.

Expert

TWC can only trap out some banks of channels and on most systems they're in 2 locations and some might not be trapped out. That's why some came in. They have no accurate records of who has the "right" traps/ filters and with all the lineup changes, plenty are wrong like in Austin TX.

As for the TA, probably anything beyond the starter cable package will require the TA.  I don't think you'll get a guide either unless it's present but that costs an extra couple dollars a month as well

Mark this as problem solved.

Valued Participant

Hopefully the issue has been solved. Had Tech come out today and when he took off the "trap" everything started to fall into place. Channels are now being received. I do have a TA now but have not hooked it up yet though'

For those in the future, that may have the same issues i had, make sure the Tech removes the "trap" before attempting any programming of your CC or you're gonna have headaches trying to figure it out if you are like me and not very tech savvy.

Thanks MsRaye for all your help Smiley Wink

Valued Participant

[ Edited ]

Thanks MSRaye, you are being a big help. Can't really tell on the filter at the pole, too many bundles of wire. I have been getting channels on my tv.....3-1, 4-1, 10-1, 13-1, 27-1, 33-1 43-1 and some odd channels in the 70 and 100 range that are in standard definition. Would not having the TA keep the CC from activating?

Isn't the CC needed to map the channels correctly so TiVo will display the guide data as it should be?

Without the CC installed in the TiVo, i am getting some locals in the 77 range of channels but nothing below that. Starter TV channels, i believe range from 0-22.

Expert

[ Edited ]

Can you see where your cable is screwed into the tapoff on the pole?

A filter looks like a pill bole screwed into the pole tap off block before the cable to your house or is in a loop of cable like an oversized splice.

Telephone "support" has no clue whether there is a filter on your line, they cannot "see" anything in your tivo without a TA which acts as a 2 way modem.

Does your TV have a clear qam tuner? If so connect it instead of the tivo, do a scan and see if you get any channels and if they're qam! 

Take your Tivo over to a neighbors house with sevice, See if it works...

Starter tv only is probably clear and doesn't need the cablecard, twc traps it out on all internet only customers.

I think it needs a tech out  and probably a filter removal/ changeout

Valued Participant

MsRaye wrote:

I think you need the TA as it's the "cable modem" for any interactive viewing/ comands. that's SDV/ MOD/ PPV which can be any channels above 20 depending on your headend- all are different , from one city to the next

WHERE ARE YOU?

Someone in your area might be on here with more data

It's dumb that tivo and others didn't build them in.

In NE North Carolina. I only have the Starter Pkg at the moment so, do you feel i need the TA? Guess i could get it tomorrow when i pick up a different CC, if that's actually the problem and not a "block filter" on the line as i and you had suspected.

Expert

I think you need the TA as it's the "cable modem" for any interactive viewing/ comands. that's SDV/ MOD/ PPV which can be any channels above 20 depending on your headend- all are different , from one city to the next

WHERE ARE YOU?

Someone in your area might be on here with more data

It's dumb that tivo and others didn't build them in.

Valued Participant

[ Edited ]

I do however, get the clear QAM channels without the card inserted but no guide info of course.

Valued Participant

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

OK, this may be a nother issue... Internet only subscribers usually have filters on the cable blockinng al but the modem channels...

Also, didn't you get a tuning adapter as well?

where does the coax come from for the Tivo?

Splitter must be a 2 way with the modem on one port and the tivo on the other, With a tuning adapter, you loop the line thru it first then out goes to the tivo

splitter must be marked 5-1000 (or higher) Mhz

I had thought of the block as well but CC support didn't really think so. Local office had no idea whether i needed a TA or not but said that a previous customer with the same setup did not need a TA, therefore, not knowing, i believed them. Splitter is a 2-way with one port to modem and the other to the TiVo.  Me personally, i'm thinking the block may be the culprit.