4 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Standalone Tuning Adapter And Cable Card

belcantoj wrote:

Thanks again for clarifying. I guess I just want to be able to record some live shows and watch them when I can. The TV we watch are mainly only the Tennis channel and Fox Soccer, NBCSN and beIn Sports. There really isn't a way to chord-cut for those I guess and recording the broadcast on my VCR looks horrible - so I guess I'll have to pony up for a cable company DVR.

Actually there are a few DVR's that you can buy which use antenna only...  and will record the HD signal, but you will be limited to what you can get off an antenna, and you will likely need to supply your own external HD to store the shows.

Another option that you may want to consider is the Spectrum TV app. As long as you have one set top or DVR box and a Spectrum internet connection, you can use the application on multiple streaming devices in your home.  The following LINK will provide you with a list of capable devices on which you can utilize the app. 

-Melissa O.

Spectrum Community Forum Moderator

Observer

Thanks again for clarifying. I guess I just want to be able to record some live shows and watch them when I can. The TV we watch are mainly only the Tennis channel and Fox Soccer, NBCSN and beIn Sports. There really isn't a way to chord-cut for those I guess and recording the broadcast on my VCR looks horrible - so I guess I'll have to pony up for a cable company DVR.

Highlighted
Sharer

belcantoj wrote:

Do I need to have a set-top box if I get a tuning adapter hooked up to my computer and/or third party DVR? My guess is that I will probably have to RENT (not BYO) a cable card AND a tuning adapter if I wanted to use my own DVR. If I do that, will I be able to ditch the Set-top Box that I have to shell out 8.50+tax every month for - can I also ditch the "The Guide" that they charge 3.25+tax a month for?

It all depends on what you want to do and what you CAN do.

With a cable subscription, your options are:

1.  Rent a DVR from the cable company.

2.  Buy a third party DVR (like a Tivo).  You will need to pay Tivo for guide service, plus rent a cable-card from the cable company and pay any "additional outlet fees"

3.  Build a Home Theater PC.  This is probably not for the faint-of-heart.  You will need to buy a tuner card for the PC that can accept a cable-card.  You still need to rent the card from the cable company and pay any outlet fees.  You will most likely need to pay for guide data, too.

4.  If you can live with SD, you can go old school and buy a ReplayTV, subscribe to SchedulesDirect, and set up a PC on your LAN to be a WiRNS server.  (I acutally still use my Replays.  I bought them in 2003.)

I am sure other possibilities are out there...

What is your goal?

Observer

Standalone Tuning Adapter And Cable Card

Do I need to have a set-top box if I get a tuning adapter hooked up to my computer and/or third party DVR? My guess is that I will probably have to RENT (not BYO) a cable card AND a tuning adapter if I wanted to use my own DVR. If I do that, will I be able to ditch the Set-top Box that I have to shell out 8.50+tax every month for - can I also ditch the "The Guide" that they charge 3.25+tax a month for?