9 REPLIES
Highlighted
Observer

Re: Spectrum / TWC grandfathered account - Cable Card Support - ceton infinitv setup

Just wanted to close the loop on this inquiry.  Spectrum does indeed support cable cards as stated in this post, even though I got mixed responses during my phone calls.   I went to the local Spectrum store where they too confirmed the support of cable cards and they assisted me in keeping my cable card setup and upgrading my internet speed to 100/10.  Note, to do this I had to switch my account to a Spectrum account and sign up for one of Spectrum's tv packages.  I believe I did a Silver tier with some additional sports channels in order to maintain basically the same channel lineup I previously had with TWC and the representatives in the store were extremely helpful.

One additional note, I kept the same cable card and tuning adapter, but I had to call the cable card support # to activate my new service (I believe I called the TV support number and asked to be transferred to cable card support).  This process went really smooth.  I didn't even lose my tv signal during the whole process.  No restart of the htpc or anything.

MsRaye, my apologies, I did not write down the modem model number before returning it.  I needed a new cable modem for the upgraded 100/10 internet speed and had to change the old modem out.

Thanks again to everyone for their assistance!

Expert

Re: Spectrum / TWC grandfathered account - Cable Card Support - ceton infinitv setup

Ok, that must have been a "MAXX" upgrade area, but would have been in the past 2 years.

When you have a chance, look at and post  the modem model # .. If it's over 5 years old, it could very well be an obsolete docsis 1 or 2 model, I think that's when I got rid of mine was in 2013 when they turned off the turbo boost for 15/1 service . Before that I had 10/1 with Adelphia

Observer

Thanks again for the feedback MsRaye!

The modem is currently leased and I've had it for 5+ years.  I'm uncertain if it is 4x4 bonding DOCSIS 3 (and I'm not at home at the moment to check).  I've had on my to-do list to buy my own modem for quite some time so I could avoid the monthly TWC rental fee, but I've never gotten around to it.   And I do have some vague recollection that  we were on the lowest speed internet package (3/1, maybe 5/1) and that TWC bumped it up for free.  But, I may not be remembering that correctly.  it would have been sometime in the last 5 years.

I had wondered if I stick with Spectrum and increase my internet speeds to hopefully something like 300 or 100 down if I would have to replace the modem and at that time I may decide to purchase my own modem if it would save some on the monthly cost.  Or it may be that Spectrum doesn't charge the modem rental fee (?).  I need to investigate further.

Thanks again!

Expert

Do you have at least a 4x4 bonding DOCSIS 3 modem?

Is it owned or leased?

The only place I know of is part of new york state and in Texas where they bumped up everyones speed 2 tiers and I think the economy-starter package is 10/1. those were called "Max" areas and top speed was the 300/20 tier

Established Sharer

My Cablecard with tuner adapter works perfectly on a Spectrum plan. In my time using Cablecards I've found that the lack of information and training on the part of the CSRs is really sad and frustrating. 

Observer

Thanks so much, Julia!  I didn't see your reply before replying to MsRaye.  I will contact Forums_Help with the requested info.

Thanks again!

Observer

Thanks so much MsRaye!

I called 1-866-606-5889, spoke to TV support, they transferred me to cable card support.  Cable card support said that you can definitely keep your cable card and still make changes to your account (i.e. cancel or increase internet service).  She mentioned that it is required by the FCC that Spectrum provide cable card support.  She said that any changes to my account would need to be done through the Spectrum sales office, but recommended I have them call the cable card support line if they have any problems making these changes.  She also mentioned that I should keep my current equipment, which includes a TA and one cable card, and that if the changes are done correctly I shouldn’t have to make any changes to my current setup (like reactivate the cable card, etc.).

I’ve not yet had a chance to call the sales office, but hope to do so tonight or in the next few days.  I’ll report back with an update when I have one.

On a side note, unless something has changed very recently, I’m quite certain my internet package (titled “Basic Internet”) provides a 10/1 service.  I’ve tested it many times over the years and it caps at 10mbps down, 1 up.  Maybe I should reset my equipment to see if that changes.  I haven’t done so in a very long time.

Either way, thanks again for the input and advice.  Very much appreciated!

Lead Moderator

Good morning. 

We absolutely do offer cable cards.  If you will please contact us directly

we can have your situation reviewed.

We can be reached directly at Forums_Help

Please include 

1. Your account number

2. Your full address

3. Your best contact number and availability 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Expert

First of all, there's no such thing as a 10/1 speed, it would be 15/1 , 20/2, 35/5, 50/5 under TWC and an economy speed of 3/1. You need to Contact the FCC and your state attorney general/ cable TV comission... I believe that's illegal, they need to offer cable cards with tuning adapters per FCC mandate on COAM eqt. But, Spectrum is not renting out DTA's which are a one way device same as a Tive/Ceton without a TA to make them 2 way devices.

. If you did not have a TA with TWC, that may be an issue.

Contact cable card support. see what they say, please report back.

Observer

Spectrum / TWC grandfathered account - Cable Card Support - ceton infinitv setup

My apologies in advance, because this is kind of long.  I'm a long-standing CableVision, then TWC, and now Spectrum customer.   Been with cable since the 90's and have never switched.

I'm in a situation where I have a "grandfathered" TWC account with a cable card TV package (used with a ceton inifinitv setup) and a 10mbps internet service plan.  I’ve been wanting to increase my internet speed package and was undecided whether to do this with Spectrum or go with AT&T or Google so I called into Spectrum a number of months ago to gather details on cost/etc. (this was approx. early-summer 2017).  I was told by a Spectrum rep that I could not upgrade my Spectrum internet without having my account moved to Spectrum.  The downside to this was that they told me that I could not keep my cable card tv plan.  I LOVE my cable card setup, so I definitely DID NOT want to do this.  They told me I could cancel my Spectrum internet and keep the TV setup and my bill would be approx. $77 a month just for tv.  I sat on this a while and debated about whether I wanted to spend the extra money for higher speed internet and waited so long that I decided to call Spectrum again yesterday (11/20/17) to confirm what I needed to do to cancel my internet.  I talked to a very nice lady who spent more than 30 minutes trying to look into this and her conclusion was that I could not make any changes to my account (increased internet speed or canceling internet) without switching to a Spectrum account; meaning I would lose my cable card tv setup.  Once again, I definitely don’t want to do that.

So, can anyone help me understand what I need to do or who I need to contact to keep my current cable card tv setup, but either cancel or increase the speed on my internet package?

I would so very much appreciate anyone’s assistance.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Note, I found a prior post regarding a very similar situation to mine and it sounds like these people may have found a Spectrum rep to resolve their issues, but I didn’t see any specifics as to exactly who they contacted…

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/CableCARD-CableCARD-Devices/Cablecard-not-supported-by-Spectrum...

Edit:  I thought it relevant that I mention I live in Durham, NC 27703 because services may differ depending on location.