13 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Ordering digital tuning adapter

Keithml wrote:
My son got the same song & dance that you got. I have the DTA, but I have not used it for over a year because I no longer have a non-digital TV to use it with. That has not kept TWC or SPECTRUM from charging me for it every month though.

Ummmm....you're being charged for it because you have it. If you don't need it and don't want to get charged for it RETURN IT.

Rookie

My son got the same song & dance that you got. I have the DTA, but I have not used it for over a year because I no longer have a non-digital TV to use it with. That has not kept TWC or SPECTRUM from charging me for it every month though.
Spectator

Ok so still no tuning adapter. The day the technician was to come, I got a call from another technician in the office to let me know that my appointment time of 1pm-3pm was going to be later than 3pm and then she asked me questions about the issues I was having as the tech coming was on the road and wanted to get more info. I explained the missing channels again and she said that it was caused by some channels still being analog and that I won't be able to get analog channels until Spectrum completes the switchover to all digital.

But I told her that I was getting a number of analog channels still so that didn't make sense. We went through numerous channels on the lower end - some I was getting and others I wasn't.  

In the end, she told me that whatever it was that I was told I needed - the tuning adapter - wasn't something that I could get from the tech. They don't carry them on calls and they don't offer them in stores in my area.  I read off the info from the Spectrum website where it stated if I was using a 3rd party device like a Tivo that I had to have a tuning adapter. She said maybe that was something that was offered in the larger cities?  And the only way for me to get the missing channels is to  lease a set-top box for every TV in my house. Which is what another rep told me on the phone when I had called.  This tech said it's "just the way those Tivos are configured". Some get all the channels, some don't.  That doesn't seem like an answer to me..... 

In the end, the technician canceled my appointment after I had been on the phone with the other technician in the local office for about a half hour or more.  Rather than keep my appointment and checking my cable card to see if it was ok or trying to replace it to see if it would resolve the issue. I've exhausted literally every possible contact at this point.  I refuse to lease multiple set top boxes when I own my own devices and they work together to access ever TV in my house. 

It may be time to check out other alternatives than Spectrum. 

Expert

There is no such thing as basic cable or a digital tier. those terms werre gone 5 years ago

As a TWC customer, the starter and standard tiers don't require a TA as they're available to DTA's that are a one way receive only box like your Tivo is without a TA.

To get the Preferred tier, you need to request SDV channels and that requires a 2 way cable box or a TA added to the Tivo to make it a 2 way device.

Hopefully the tech has a TA on his truck

Established Sharer

If you are paying for anything over the lowest 2 tiers, you need a TA, which is a  2 way modem to request SDV, on demand, PPV channels and that device is a tuning adapter which goes to the USB port on your device

The Cablecard support group told me that PPV is not supported via the cablecard and TA setup on a TiVo.  I found that out this past weekend when I tried to order a boxing PPV. 

Spectator

I live in the Benton, KY area. I did go to the local office there and gave them the order receipt - twice - after I received the email that it could be picked up there. Both times they said they don't have those there and they took my order page and said they would follow up on it. I'm not looking to get the PPV channels, etc. I'm missing a number of basic cable channels that should be standard with digital tier.

I replied to an earlier comment today that I called the cable card support that was provided in the response and was told that I didn't need the tuning adapter in my area, despite having been told otherwise. A technician is scheduled to come later this week to see what the issue is with the cable card that I have.

Expert

[ Edited ]

What area are you in? What local office did you go to? You need to hand them the order and rather than expect a call back, tell them to call right now and find out where it is and why they don't have it for you.

If you are paying for anything over the lowest 2 tiers, you need a TA, which is a  2 way modem to request SDV, on demand, PPV channels and that device is a tuning adapter which goes to the USB port on your device

Spectator

Thank you again. I called the number you provided. The rep told me that I didn't even require a tuning adapter in my area, even though I was told that I needed one.  That would have been helpful to know many months ago!  I was able to call that number directly and was helped promptly - a vast difference from my other contacts to customer service who never suggested that I call that number or transfer me to that department.

It appears that my cable card is paired correctly so the issue isn't resolved yet, but the rep scheduled a technician to come out later this week. Hopefully he can find the issue or install a new cable card.

Spectator

Thank you! I will do that and let you know the outcome.
Highlighted
Community Manager

@vlwells

Please try contacting cable card directly at 1-866-532-2598.  Please let us know if the issue remains unresolved.  

James M.
Social Media Customer Care
Community Forums Moderator