6 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Live TV

If Spectrum has converted your area to 100% encrypted the tuning adapter will be required but is included in the Cablecard rental fee. The biggest expense going with the TiVo is the up front cost of the device itself.

Sharer

belcantoj wrote:

Ok @dstoffa and @reds91185, am I following this correctly:

I would have to pay

1. Tivo their montly ~$15 and
  2. Spectrum
    1. ~$2 for the cable card (tuning adapter won't be needed with the Tivo)
    2. ~80 for the monthly programming
    3. No monthly Spectrum rentals for HD Set-Top Box or The Guide

Right?

And of course, buy the Tivo hardware.

The tuning adapter MIGHT be required for watching Switched-Digital-Video Channels (SDV) and ordering Pay-per-view.

I am not sure what "The Guide" is as it pertains to renting boxes...

Observer

Ok @dstoffa and @reds91185, am I following this correctly:

I would have to pay

1. Tivo their montly ~$15 and
  2. Spectrum
    1. ~$2 for the cable card (tuning adapter won't be needed with the Tivo)
    2. ~80 for the monthly programming
    3. No monthly Spectrum rentals for HD Set-Top Box or The Guide

Right?

Established Sharer

You would not rent a set top box from Spectrum. You would rent a Cablecard/tuner adapter (I pay $2 / month for mine).

Observer

[ Edited ]

Thanks for clarifying that. If I'd be able to use the Tivo as a set-top box, do you know if I'd be able to save on the rental for the Time Warner box or would I have to continue to "rent" it, even if I don't use it?

Sharer

belcantoj wrote:

If I buy a Tivo (or other similar DVR such as Hopper) and pay their monthly fee and pay TWC/Spectrum their rental for the programming and cable card-tuning adapter combo, will I be able to watch live TV out of the Tivo onto my TV without having to rent a set-top box from the cable company? Or is a Tivo/Hopper only for recorded shows and can't be used for watching live TV?

The Tivo replaces the Set-top-box.  And yes, you can watch liveTV.  You will pay Tivo for the Electronic Program Guide data ($15 / mo).

Hopper is a Dish product.  It cannot be used with cable television.

Observer

Live TV

If I buy a Tivo (or other similar DVR such as Hopper) and pay their monthly fee and pay TWC/Spectrum their rental for the programming and cable card-tuning adapter combo, will I be able to watch live TV out of the Tivo onto my TV without having to rent a set-top box from the cable company? Or is a Tivo/Hopper only for recorded shows and can't be used for watching live TV?