Contributor

Re: Hookup to HTPC with dual tuner card - is this possible from settop box?

Actually, it can be done to some degree, depending on several factors. If TWC at your location still provides analog signals somewhere between 2 & 99, then you can just connect your HTPC tuner to receive and record them in SD. Your local channels should be available as QAM 64/256 signals in either SD or HD and they also should be available to your HTPC's tuner. There is certainly no harm in connecting your HTPC to the coax and see what channels may be available.

If you are talking channels other than standard, basic tier channels, a CableCARD tuner like the Ceton and Silicon Dust products, is required for your HTPC to access & record them on the HTPC.

Depending on your tuner card, some, like the Hauppauge HVR2250, have an IR transmitter that can be used to control your STB and output its signals to a apropriate inputs on your HTPC. This approach is full of potential problems and is likely not to properly receive HD material without a lot of diddling.

Participant

Re: Hookup to HTPC with dual tuner card - is this possible from settop box?

only through trickery and then is will only record was is being played and that moment. I'm pretty sure the only way to get it to work the way you want is to add in a cable card tuner and rent a cable card. I would recommend checking on the on the AV forums they can probably tell you more.

dd
Rookie

Hookup to HTPC with dual tuner card - is this possible from settop box?

I have a Home Theater PC (HTPC) with a dual tuner card QAM,digital analog capable.

It functions as a tuner and DVR with Windows Media Center on Win7 OS. Can I hookup signal from settop box to allow DVR function?