12 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Hookup to HTPC with dual tuner card - is this possible from settop box?

After a lot of complaints and wasted, triplicated channels, TWC is standardizing the qam channel lineuup across the US.  It's also supposed to make your cablecard device find the HD version of the channels as that will be the only place that channel is provided, and the SD receivers will be forced to decode it, just like "REAL TV"/

This change is being rolled out on a per headend mode as it requires massive changes at some

There are also some TWC provided DTA's that need to be exchanged, as far as I've heard, TWC isn't providing any that use an external cablecard, It's built in as well as the DVR's and cable boxes (some have a "sealed" cablecard slot with one inside)

Expert

The 2015 DTA requirement  is of TWC's doing and not any sort of FCC mandate. They could simply delete tv channels 1-6 and move them to other analog slots and change out all the line amps and filters to raise the upload/ uplink/ reverse bandwith to 88 mhz.  All the docsis 3 devices are capable of using those channels and as more people migrate to 30/5 and 50/5 service, those will be needed.

The DTA's will also eliminate 60 presently duplicated channels

Expert

Here on the Macedonia Ohio system, we get a black screen, somewhere thru a movie and no sound that says "press any key to continue viewing

The QAM STB's or DTA's are not pass thru devices, they convert QAM 256 RF channels on the cable input on a single channel basis to either Ch3/4 Composite video&stereo audio, and HDMI"

Ok, since cable is an optional, pay  service, the only requirement are "must carry" local channels and since basic cable isn't free, they can raise the price to include converters& multiple converters Same held true when the analog broadcasters switched to digital, people had to buy converters if their tv wasn't equipped.

Any fee increases may be regulated by the local community that would have the franchise agreement with a cable company. That could include both the cost and the channel lineup.

Where I see an issue is the additional video subchannels that the broadcasters added to their digital transmitters that are not carried on "basic cable" some of which are scattered all over the digital channels between 60 and 1200 here in Ohio, I get 40-50 antenna received channels and around 75% I've found somewhere on TWC.

What does irritate me is the random EAS EAB tests, I think the FCC should mandate all to occur at 10am Wednesdays The other Item is that none of the broadcasters should have been allowed to Alias their channel numbers which in many cases are not what frequency their transmitters are on. It's a hottible mess as TV's and converter boxes get hosed up by the changes which are still occuring

Observer

[ Edited ]

@Ms Raye:

I'm newby cable-media tech in the throes of replacing VCR with htpc & have some questions:

1) Will the required (I'm told?) DTA pass thru all Basic QAM channels to an HTPC tuner card?

2) By what FCC rules is TWC allowed to begin charging an additional fee (for the DTA) to continue access to the Basic Plan I had been receiving & paying for with my subscription?

3) By what FCC rules is TWC allowed to: "In 2015, TWC will make all "Cable ready" devices extinct with out a converter box"? Will I have to devote a week to decoding pages of gov't-ese to uncover the relevant clauses or have these been well reported?

4) I've never heard of the "press any key to resume program crap".  Is this in use anywhere?

Would you please contribute to my project by way of answers, sources or advice to these issues?

Thanks for any time you can give to me; Klrdn

Participant

i'm not saying cable cards are painless but if you can get through the frustation of getting it setup it's really the only thing that is really going to give you what you're looking for. You don't need any stb or anything to decode, that's what the cable card is for. The only thing you won't get is VOD.

Contributor

I am happy as a clam with my Ceton InfiniTV PCIE4 and Windows 7 Media Center and XBox360 extenders. That PC also has a 2250, antenna connected for local OTA program material which is superior to local channels over TWC. The cost savings over four STBs drove me to this solution.
dd
Rookie

Yes...it's all about control isn't it. I was surprised on my new STB that it allows the quide to display only the channels you subscribe to, haven't seen that for a while. And programmable remotes are better than their's.

dd
Rookie

I have the Hauppage 2250 with IR. I have been running this system directly connected to TWC incoming cable line for over year.. It has worked great, but I cannot receive all channels subscribed to without a STB. I tried the Ceton Cable Card hardware, this hardware was fine. However every tech TWC sent out got glassy eyed when they saw this hardware and I really feel none of them knew anything about cablecards. Out of frustration I gave up on this and someone got a great deal on the  Ceton card on ebay. FYI this tuner card is excellent and video quality has been excellent. And while I am not a big Microsoft fan, the Media Center software supplied with WIN7 is really pretty decent.

I have given in to the STB, but still want to have DVR function. I rec'd the newer Samsung STB (H3362). It does not have setup info online yet. I believe the only solution may be to split the incoming cable feed to my HTPC and the STB. And if I want to record something my card cannot tune, I may just have to tune it from the STB to record. Ahhh, back in the day TV was simple!

Expert

Even if you got 2 of the adapters and set one on ch 3 and the other on 4 and tried to combine them to the single connector on your card, being adjacent channels, the herringbone/ interference would be awfull, However if your card can do a rf and a composite with audio seperately and you want to watch and record on seperate channels that may work, however it's easier to simply use the multiple inputs on your tv to switch between the computer output and the HDMI from one of the converters. Only issue is they don't have seperate IR codes so you'll either have to mask them/ move them away from each other(I do not know if TWC is including the optional 3' remote IR pickups)

or use something like a crestron and tape on ir senders The only issue on hdmi ports is that the sound is out of sync witth composite ports if you are using seperate sound than the TV's internal or if it doesn't have audio outs on it

You are really better off with a HD cable box with hdmi for anything larger than a 32 or 37" anywayl, less artifacts and delayed pixels. best picture is an antenna right on the tv, especially for live sports.

Expert

TWC is eliminating the analog (basic cable) channels and they decided to make the QAM encrypted so you have to use (rent) their "basic cable set top box or boxes! Supposedly only $1 a month glitch is they only do SD digital  on either RF ch's 3/4 or thru their HDMI port. no scaling and the remote is pretty basic

In 2015, TWC will make all "Cable ready" devices extinct with out a converter box. The other huge issue is if they pull the "press any key to resume program" crap, unattended recording is impossible via your theaters dvr

Pisses us off here when it happens in the middle of something and when you hit resume, the movies gone and you have to start from beginning and FF it.

On my Hauppauge card I only have the analog stuff and the qam music channels.

Pluss all devices will have mac addy's so nonpayment= turnoff

whereas now they have to send a tech to cut the line