8 REPLIES
Rookie

Re: HDHomerun Error Message About Display of Protected Content

This is a new problem created this week, it may not be the problem for the original post.
Newcomer

I had the same problem. I checked Silicon Dust's website and found out that there was an automatic update that was installed by Microsoft that was causing this. The update was KB3004394.

Here is a link. http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18250

Here is the text of the document.

This message applies to people using Windows Media Center with a CableCARD tuner on Windows 7 only.

This update, labeled as "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3004394)" has been found to break the PlayReady DRM system used by Windows Media Center to access protected content. Installing it will result in WMC displaying a message that a PlayReady update is needed. When attempting to update, the update fails.

If you have automatic updates enabled and have Windows Update set to install optional updates, this may be installed automatically on your PC.

To resolve the issue, uninstall the update. To do this:
1. Go into Control Panel
2. Select Uninstall a program
3. Click on View installed updates on the left
4. Locate Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3004394), click on it, and click Uninstall
5. Reboot

Rookie

I've had HDHomerun for almost a year now.  From what I remember in my setup process if you can only get unprotected channels your Cable Card might be bad.  My first card wasn't working and I had to exchange it.  It took several contacts with TW before a trained tech called me and walked through how to run check signal strength and found the problem.  I wish I could remember what to check, to help you out, but I don't.

Rookie

It is most likely due to the fact that twc copy protects all channels that are not OTA broadcast locally, whether or not the original content provider request that.  I have tivo and while I can record something to my tivo, I can not move it from there to my pc or anywhere else for that matter, due to the fact that Tivo respects the copyprotect flag that TWC puts on everything.  Comcast and others do not do that unless the provider request it, say like HBO or something.  Since HDhomeruns are twc 'approved' they have to do that also.

Rookie

You are not alone! I will go to the two links. Then I will report back. I did spend about one hour with the TWC CableCard help phone tech. After the SiliconDust gui app reported all OK I was sent back to do a re-tune. That scans all the channels and takes a long time. More when I finish!
Contributor

Nabil,

There is absolutely no connection between your DRM issues and the provisioning and operation of the CableCard, Tuning Adapter and HDHR equipment. Since you can view some channels, you have problems with Playready and/or Digital Cable Advisor within Media Center. Note that this is dependant on your display device being able to render at the channel's HD format as well.

You should read and follow the Silicon Dust procedures to the letter:

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/

You may also find help here:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=89

Expert

where did the cablecard come from? It must be the correct one for your neighborhood and I think has to be mailed to you from twc

Expert

[ Edited ]

there's a problem getting Hauppage to update the channels in media center.

Call twc, verify they have the CORRECT MAC ID's for both the cablecard and the TA.  The USB MAC IS THE WRONG ONE  s/b the CM MAC

Do you have the TA used as a loop thru with the output feeding the SDHR's input.?

If you used the TA with an external 2 way splitter, it must have a 75 ohm term on the output port, however it's a bad idea because it will have an additional 3.5 db loss thanks to the external splitter. No term resistor can drop it 20 more db, beyond the range it will work

What are you paying for ? Are you a new customer without any real cable boxes?  Or upgraded from a low tier to a bunch more?

Newcomer

HDHomerun Error Message About Display of Protected Content

Trying to use MS Media Center with HDHomerun Prime. I have the cablecard activated and a Tuning Adapter hooked up. I can only watch a few channels that do not have DRM which are very few. With three laptops (two running Windows 7 and one Windows 8.1) I get the error message that the display cannot play protected content. Is this an issue with the PC (I tried 3), HDHomerun or TWC? Should I dump HDHomerun and try sopmething like Hauppauge or Tivo? Or will I get the same errors?

Note: I searched and found some posts about methods to reset DRM on the PC which I tried more than once but still get the error message.