6 REPLIES
Rookie

Re: Demise of Windows Media Center + CopyOnce

[ Edited ]

Its called an ICT. (image constraint token)   I think as of 2012, all consumer devices still equiped with component video outputs must imbed hardware/firmware to support it.  It basically overrides the resolution of content to downrez to 480p or 480i... SD.   This prevents folks from using over the counter capture devices to record the unprotected component video being captured from the various cable set top boxes/dvrs/ dvd/ blu ray players...  

When it was first introduced, most content providers did not use it... but that does not mean they wont..  certain A list acts and studios may start to enforce it..  idk...   now that 4k content is here, all that stuff is getting replaced by even more sophisticated DRM...  I heard certain 4K blu ray titles have to use players with internet connections to exchange cyrpto key info that is unique to your player...   if your player breaks, your disk is worthless. ( thats going just a bit too far for me.. I would never purchase a device like that.)   

I purchased an hdfury3  HDCP dongle to get around the ICT issue.  Its a device that takes hdmi input, and had its own EIDE signature thats on the approved list of HDCP  devices.

It then converts whatever the input rez from hdmi input to component video output up to 1080i.  Audio is converted to optical SP/DIF output as DD AC3 - 5.1 or or AC3 - 2.0 stereo  depending on the source.   

It works great on my old 1080i componet video tube tvs.  (an yeah,  it lets you record anything from hdmi, but please, respect the copyrights folks)  You have the right to make one digital copy of any material you've legally purchased as long as its for personal use on your own private network.  This is a specific excemption in the DMCA.

(But ... no gifts, no selling, no sharing on the internet for mass consumption.. blah blah.. )    As long as you honor those rules, your are perfectly within the law. (Google DMCA - Digital Millennium Copyright ACT- Also Fair Use... )

I use the dongle with a Hauppague  h.264 capture device to record/transcode content to .ts , mp4,  or m2ts  container files...  with DD 5.1 audio (if present on input source)   Its a nice space saver for use to distribute content on my private home network.

For distro of  tv shows it works great.  .wtv files consume 6GB per hour.. on avg.. the .ts container format cuts this down to about 3-4GB with no appreciable loss in quality.  You can even adjust the bitrate on the Hauppauge to reduce it further. (using Arcsoft TME bundled with the Hauppauge.)

The drawback is that you must record in real time... so it takes forever... plus if you want to edit out commercials it's even more time consuming...    I've owned this stuff for years, and eventually just got lazy and bought 4 TB HDD's to store the .wtv files.. (for me, its not worth the time to transcode them.. . it was fun at first, but now its just a hassle)   Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age.  I still have a TB worth of mp3, .flac, .wav,.wma  etc..  from 12 yrs of goofin around, so that will have to do for now.   Just waiting to see what 4K displays and media have to offer...

Expert

The flag is coming from the coptright holder and supposedly the cable co's aren't allowed to remove it...

HDCP/HDMI is horrible and is just screwing over the customers. Latest news is they're making component video 480-SD only forcing you to use HDMI....Woman Mad

Rookie

As someone who recently purchased a silicon dust HDHomerun Prime, This copy-once flag is rediculous. It obviously is a ploy by Time Warner to force cablecard customers into their awefully outdated DVR boxes

Expert

Ceton, Tivo and Silicon Devices have cablecard boxes.

Community Manager

If you are still looking for assistance please feel free to contact TWC directly. In addition to the ones already pointed out, we can be reached a number of ways.

Twitter: @TWC_Help
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/messages/twc
Live chat: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/contact-us.html#
by phone 1-888-TWC-ABLE
Live chat via My TWC® App
or even request a callback via the My TWC® App

Thank you for your participation in the Forums!

James M.
Forum Moderator

Valued Contributor

MachineShedFred wrote: .... snip ....

Any chance that you guys could just drop the abuse of the CopyOnce flag, so we could use any other PVR / DVR software out there?  It seems like only TWC and Cox are flagging everything they legally can as CopyOnce where other cable providers are not, so it would follow that this isn't some contractually obligated thing from the networks / content providers.

Come on, Time Warner - score one for your technically-savvy customers and do us a solid here...

Welcome to the forum!

You should know that this forum is for customer-to-customer assistance. If you want your issue escalated to TWC management, you should use other channels:

TWC email support address: TWCable.Help@twcable.com

TWC Direct forum on dslreports: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect

The latter requires a free dslreports.com account.

There is also an email for TWC Executive office attention, but it is usually redacted by the moderators. Search around ....

Back to topic, I'm pretty sure the other big MSOs like Comcast also turn off CopyOnce on most everything. It seems to be a 'wink wink' quid-pro-quo as part of content deals, and Comcast has more incentive since they own a major content producer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moto DCX3200-M set top box, ODN 8.0.0

Demise of Windows Media Center + CopyOnce

Yeah,

So I'm wondering what the game plan is from Time Warner, as the only software that allows using a CableCARD tuner with practically every channel they've got is now officially dead as of Windows 10.  Microsoft has killed Windows Media Center, which means that we're stuck with Windows 7 or Windows 8 if we want to continue using this service, and Microsoft seems hell-bent on upgrading everyone they can to Windows 10.

Any chance that you guys could just drop the abuse of the CopyOnce flag, so we could use any other PVR / DVR software out there?  It seems like only TWC and Cox are flagging everything they legally can as CopyOnce where other cable providers are not, so it would follow that this isn't some contractually obligated thing from the networks / content providers.

Come on, Time Warner - score one for your technically-savvy customers and do us a solid here...