11 REPLIES
Spectator

Re: DRM - What Channels are supported

Thanks for this. Will have to look into this product once released.

Valued Participant

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-dvr-the-dvr-re-imagined

Still cannot use Linux for protected content, but this might be another good option, once it is released as it will supposedly work with TWC. 

Spectator

That's what I was afraid of. looks like i'll have to buy or convert my pc to a WMC box. Is TWC the only provider that does this to non-premum channels? (HBO, etc.). They pretty much have a monopoly in my area where its either them or satellite. 

Valued Participant

[ Edited ]

No you need an approved video app, since the copy flag requires the stream to be encrypted and Kodi is open source. DRM has to be closed source so you cannot see how it actually works, which is opposed to Open Source, where people have access to the source code. Everything has to be protected, and if you have a Kodi and MythTV setup, either cancel TWC or install Windows with Media center, or buy a Tivo. 

The big issue is that CableCARD DRM requires a protected video path, and there is no guarantee that MythTV and Kodi can guarantee it as they are open source, and a protected path by nature, cannot be open. 

Expert

I thought the TA and cablecard allowed the video to stream unrestricted on the Homeruns...

Valued Participant

Have some bad news for you, only the locals and a few other channels here and there. Complain to TWC if you want to use Kodi and MythTV. You have to use Media Center with TWC systems, since it is the only app that supports Copy once programming that TWC loves so much. 

Expert

Contact SD...  My understanding is their output format will play on other devices.

Spectator

TA = Cisco STA1520

I just scaned the new channels in my HDHomeRun (config) and found that pretty much all channels except locals (OTA) are DRM. Therefore If i understand correctly I can only please these back useing DRM complient software like WMC and therefore Kodi/MythTV setup will not work.. UGH!! 

Expert

On most systems, you didn't need either for starter TV, however for standard and prefered you do.

If they were originally authorized, the upgrade should be transparent.

Signal levels may be an issue.  Which TA do you have and did you use it's internal passthru splitter to feed the SD or did you use an external 2 way splitter?

Spectator

I have the CableCard and Tuning Adapter (I had the starter tv). I just upgraded to "Standard" but haven't been home yet to check. I'll check and let you know what I find.