8 REPLIES
Spectator

Re: Copy protection on all channels

[ Edited ]

Same.  About 2 months ago, I purchased HDHomeRun Prime($130), spent another $75 on a 2TB drive for recording. Watched many reviews on Youtube with the same setup (just not with Spectrum) and I already had 3 fire tv boxes each per TV I have. So the thought was, with this setup I could record and watch my shows, since SilliconDust also has a stream app on Amazon. NOT! Every freakin channel was LOCKED, except local broadcast.  

(edited) and such a waste of my time. Whats the point in a cable card if you're going to LOCK ALL THE FREAKIN CHANNELS? Really? Broadcast Only? Uh Hello I can get those channels with an antenna. Sent it all back. Spent $40 on a good outdoor antenna so I can pickup locals (get about 40 channels) Kept internet only and signed up for PS Vue. So far so good. 

Sharer

Jeffgraf wrote:

i recorded the analog feeds for things i  copied to plex but those are even copy protected.  I tried to record on the lowest non-local sd channel i could find and it still the copy protection flag. im using an hdhomerun prime with a cablecard. Again, this all started after a systems upgrade in my area over labor day weekend.

Analog feeds are not copy protected at all, which is why your tuner could tune them.  I know that Tivo owners had fits with the CCI bit when they wanted to watch a recorded show in another room on a networked unit.  If the CCI bit is set to "Copy Once", then the copy the Tivo records is the "once".  You can look at it on the Tivo that recorded it, but if you tried to view on another Tivo, Tivo software would attempt to copy itself over the LAN and it would fail becuase of the CCI bit.

I beiive your problem is two-fold:

1.  I've read that cable-card tuners cannot necessarily map a muxed stream to a given program, and don't know what do do about it.  There could be six programs on one channel (stream), and your tuner needs to only record one of them, but doesn't know how.  See this long, ancient thread:

https://tvheadend.org/boards/13/topics/6064

Not really applicable to you, but the theory may hold.

2.  Even if your tuner could record the programs, it would have to do so in such a way which ignored the CCI byte.  So PLEX wouldn't be able to stream it simply becuase it thinks the only authorized copy is the copy made by tuner during recording, and only that program may display it...

I think you may need to look at alternate methods for building your media library.

Rookie

[ Edited ]

dstoffa wrote:

Jeffgraf wrote:

Since the digial upgrade Spectrum had in my area a few weeks ago, they have copy protection on every channel (SD, digital, or HD). Currently i use a Windows 7 HTPC and record only SD channels so i can put them on Plex to watch them throughout my house. No longer can do that.  They protect everything unless it's a local channel. Not sure how Spectrum does this and get away with it. Basically they are trying to force customer's hands to get their own whole home DVR.  Other providers only protect HD but TWC/Spectrum have usually blocked a lot more and I was ok with that. But now they block everything rendering my setup useless.  Unless it changes or there is some solution, i'll be a cable cutter soon.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Time Warner was famous for being over-zealous with the CCI Bit.  They pretty much made everything Copy Once.  They claimed it was the content owners, but other cable operators did not set the bit to the same setting as TWC did.  You might have better luck poking around a Tivo forum and see how they go about addressing the issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

You mention the digital conversion, which to me implies that you may have been copying the analog NTSC (SD) feeds, which of course have no copy protection what-so-ever.  Does your HTPC take a CableCard?

i recorded the analog feeds for things i  copied to plex but those are even copy protected.  I tried to record on the lowest non-local sd channel i could find and it still the copy protection flag. im using an hdhomerun prime with a cablecard. Again, this all started after a systems upgrade in my area over labor day weekend.

Browser

Cable companies days are numbered . have had comcast , time warner and now spectrum in our city and the copy flags have become more and more restrictive over the years . Streaming is where it will eventualy be and if the cable companies dont start providing user friendly expieriences  they wont be around in the future . You dont need them for mediocore internet or media services any longer and it gets better everyday for the consumer . sorry guys thats what happens when your services are to restrictive and overpriced . Bye the way windows media center and streaming from all over the world for many years and it keeps getting better with a HTPC and HD TV  !!!!!

Expert

[ Edited ]

While analog/component outputs MAY have macrovision encryption on them, Most don't.. I believe it's your recording device got an update which detects and blocks copyrighted material via a windows OS...

I'll bet a direct DVD or VHS recorder will still record them.

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

Jeffgraf wrote:

Since the digial upgrade Spectrum had in my area a few weeks ago, they have copy protection on every channel (SD, digital, or HD). Currently i use a Windows 7 HTPC and record only SD channels so i can put them on Plex to watch them throughout my house. No longer can do that.  They protect everything unless it's a local channel. Not sure how Spectrum does this and get away with it. Basically they are trying to force customer's hands to get their own whole home DVR.  Other providers only protect HD but TWC/Spectrum have usually blocked a lot more and I was ok with that. But now they block everything rendering my setup useless.  Unless it changes or there is some solution, i'll be a cable cutter soon.

It's part of DMCA, which has been around since 2000.  Content providers are insisting the cable companies pay copyright royalties based on the total number of subscriber viewing locations, aka connected TV sets.  The cable companies are therefore adding video encryption to cut down on video piracy (theft of content and service). 

Cable customers were always required to pay for splitting off a cable to feed an "extra" set in their home.  Under DMCA a cable provider can be required to pay the back copyright fees for every one of those connections.  That's one reason you won't be seeing many whole-house DVRs offered by the cable providers. 

Use of video encryption does gives the cable company some enforcement leverage under the long-existing law.  Your cord-cutting alternatives still include Roku, Hulu, and others using internet video streaming.  If you want to watch local broadcasters, you may have to do it off the air with an external antenna.  

Expert

Almost all cable boxes have macrovision options on a per channel basis which blocks recording on composite, Svideo and component outputs. Solution is to use a time base corrector to restore proper sync.

I haven't heard of anyone complaining about a "play only once" or secondary record  lockout being set. 

Unless you're on Microsofts media center which has become mostly useless for anything, I had to pull it out of my OS a year ago...

Sharer

[ Edited ]

Jeffgraf wrote:

Time Warner was famous for being over-zealous with the CCI Bit.  They pretty much made everything Copy Once.  They claimed it was the content owners, but other cable operators did not set the bit to the same setting as TWC did.  You might have better luck poking around a Tivo forum and see how they go about addressing the issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

You mention the digital conversion, which to me implies that you may have been copying the analog NTSC (SD) feeds, which of course have no copy protection what-so-ever.  Does your HTPC take a CableCard?

Rookie

Copy protection on all channels