10 REPLIES
Expert

Re: CableCARD TV adapters aren't supposed to get premium channels?

He's got a Hauppauge...

it has a seperate mac address from the cablecard and the tuning adapter...

TWC needs the TA's CM- Mac address and the Cablecards mac, They've been known to enter the wrong one... There's also a USB mac, that is not needed.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

What specific equipment is the cablecard installed in ?

Contributor

The tuning adapter and the cable card are two separate gizmos.  The cable card looks like a thin deck of cards that is installed inside the dvr you own and the separate tuning adapter looks like a small modem with a red light when working.  You need Both and you have to call a special number to get them going:

Time Warner CableCARD support at 1-866-532-2598.

Rookie

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll call in by phone to tech support to see if I can get further.

Expert

[ Edited ]

You need to verify they have that tuning adapters mac correctly entered in TWC's database for your account. It's the cable modem that makes the SDV channels work. Can you see the TA in media center? I think it's in the toolbox or settings...

It will have a CM MAC addy... that's the one TWC needs

Do not use the USB MAC addy...

Are you talking to the cablecard support group?

Sharer

Not on the same head end.   I just have friends all over and that channel seems to always be a SDV problem child.

Rookie

I believe my cableCARD tuning adapter is connected properly.  I can get many channels, but many others show "Subscription Required".  The lights are green on the cableCARD adapter and it's upstream from the cable box, which does receive those channels.  The person didn't ask for the mac address.  Here is my info shown in Windows Media Center:

CableCard ID:000-334-794-795-8

Host ID: 064-538-027-021-7

Data: 386-168-896-97

Unit Address: 000-03347-94795-132

Card S/N: MA0716CA1602

Host MAC: 00:0D:FE:7E:34:80

in diagnostics, it shows:

unit address: 0x0013F4902B
       000-03347-94795-132

Expert

jaison wrote:

Those channels are switched digital.  RFD  stands out like a sore thumb.   They are super sensitve to the slightest signal degradation.

That's why I'm thinking there's a TA problem.... As for RFD, Are you on the same head end?

Sharer

Those channels are switched digital.  RFD  stands out like a sore thumb.   They are super sensitve to the slightest signal degradation.

Expert

[ Edited ]

Is your tuning adapter connected properly?

It should be in series with the F cable coming from the outside and your cablecard device.

If you have the in and out reversed, it won't work even though your device will show the USB is connected.

What's the light on it doing?

TWC needs the CM mac address on it as well as the mac on the cablecard, not the usb mac.

These may have a problem if there's too many splitters or open splitter ports in front of them, yet the device will still pick up non encrypted channels