6 REPLIES
uj
Spectrum Employee

Re: Cable Card Support - FCC Violation - PLEASE REPORT

I would suggest you  contact customer support so we can listen to the call and have this addressed. Every customer has the right to use a cable card if they want. 

------
My posts are my own and not the views of my employer.
Expert

All channels above ch 99 will require a 2 way device per the latest letter. That includes all the premium channels... many are already SDV.

Yeah, they may work now, depends on the head end you're on, but not for long without a TA to act as the 2 way modem.

They're over a year behind here in the greater Cleveland area.

Established Sharer

SDV channels require a tuner adapter (not the same as a DTA) paired with the Cablecard equipped TiVo in order to be viewable. Otherwise...TiVo and Cablecards work perfectly for everything except On Demand and PPV. I do not lease a set top box.

Expert

wesleychapel12 wrote:

I just got off the phone with customer retention who would not let me have their Select cable package without getting 4 HD boxes that I did not want because I have Tivos with Cable Cards (for years mind you)."

Ok, I'll read more into this that they may very well be correct in telling you that.

The "Select HD" channels are above channels 1-99 and not receivable on one way devuces like DTA's and straight cablecard devices without the 2 way modem otherwise called a tuning Adapter...

Some Select channels are in the Ch1-99 range and will be received on a DTA or one way device like a Tivo or Ceton

Highlighted
Expert

Per the "final notice, your area is going all digital on Nov 7th" letter signed by Kathleen Griffin, it states that cable boxes, DTA's and comercial devices with cablecards will not be affected.

But then, it states one cable box is free for a year and then it asks how many you want, Bottom line fine print states that QAM tuners will no longer work and require a spectrum cable box....

So It too is poorly written and yes, you probably should have gotten tuning adapters to give your Tivo's full 2 way operation. I know they want to get rid of the one way DTA's as well as they're also no longer offered as part of this promo. They want to go to SDV to free up channels.

You may want to call the cablecard support number if they still exist.

What really is an "FCC Violation" is that no manufacturers are making TV's with cable card slots, Many no longer have OTA tuners and are basicly monitors only....

Of course the FCC has been stripped of it's policing powers and bandwidth being sold off to the highest bidder.

Cable Card Support - FCC Violation - PLEASE REPORT

Attention:  If TWC or Spectrum has lied to you about no longer supporting cable cards and pushing their equipment on you, I strongly urge you to file an FCC complaint against them.  I just got off the phone with customer retention who would not let me have their Select cable package without getting 4 HD boxes that I did not want because I have Tivos with Cable Cards (for years mind you).  I have filed my complaint and I recommend you do to.  Cable Cards are a legal obligation and they are either breaking the law or lying to consumers (also breaking the law).  The Spectrum/TWC Executives pushing this inside the company need to go to jail!