Newcomer

my free antivirus throu time warner cable with macfee wont take my account with time warner cable

[ Edited ]

it wont take my email address for mcaffe aintvirus time warner cable free aintvirus  (edited personal information) 

2 REPLIES
Expert

Re: my free antivirus throu time warner cable with macfee wont take my account with time warner cabl

This is peer to peer support, erase those numbers!   

I'd use free Avast instead or Windows security essentials, McAffee is too intrusive

Helper

Re: my free antivirus throu time warner cable with macfee wont take my account with time warner cabl

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

This is peer to peer support, erase those numbers!   

I'd use free Avast instead or Windows security essentials, McAffee is too intrusive

Yes,

Dump McAfee, it is bloated and offers only average protection.  Make sure you have no more than one Anti-Virus on your system at any one time! (Or there will be conflicts down the road.)  If you are changing AV providers, you must first remove the existing AV software from Add-Remove Programs, and also use the companies' AV software removal tool (only get it from their website.  Google search to make sure and read the URL in the search carefully.)  There are bogus removal tools out there that can be malware!

Below are the steps I would recommend taking:

If you have Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10:

Use the built-in Windows Defender, which replaces Microsoft Security Essentials, is super-lightweight, and non-intrusive. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE MCAFEE FIRST BY PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING STEPS:

1.) Go to Control Panel or Programs and Features. (Type this into the search screen on the Start Menu for Windows 8, or the Search Menu Taskbar in Windows 10.)

2.) Select the Uninstall Program option.

3.) Remove all traces of McAfee Anti-virus

4.) Reboot your computer

5.) Download the McAfee Customer Removal Tool.  Make sure you follow the prompts given on this page:

https://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

6.) Reboot after the removal tool finishes again.

7.) In Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10, type "Windows Defender" (no quotes) in the program search box on the Start Screen.

8.) The Windows Defender Program icon should appear, click on the icon.

9.) Follow the prompts to update the virus definitions.

10.) Run a quick scan after updating.

If you have Windows 7 or Windows Vista:

1.) Follow steps 1-6 above to remove all traces of McAfee Antivirus

2.) Download Microsoft Security Essentials here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

3.) Save the downloaded file to your destination download folder location.

4.) Go to that download location and click on the Microsoft Security Essentials icon. The installation will begin.  Follow the recommended prompts.

5.) Update the Virus Definitions and run a quick scan.

Still on Windows XP:

1.) Follow steps 1-6 above to remove McAfee Anti-Virus completely from your computer.

2.) Download Avast here: https://www.avast.com/en-us/index#compare-home

3.) Save the downloaded file to your designated location.

4.) Go to the download location and double-click on the Avast icon to start the installation.

5.) Follow the prompts to set up the program and run a scan.

Satch