Highlighted
Observer

TWC bogus copyright "strikes" notices

TWC recently shut off my internet connection without warning. This left my home office unable to communicate with clients and unable to get work done. 

After seemingly endless phone calls and hold-time, a customer service agent in some distant location told me my account was terminated for illegal downloads. They claimed I was sent three warning emails and letters, and a letter regarding the disconnection. When I explained I had never received ANY of the claimed correspondence, they were unable to provide the dates of the letters or any confirmation of my receipt of them.

After hours of phone calls I was able to have my service re-activated.

Extensive searches of my several work and personal email accounts finally revealed three emails from Charter with the subject "Urgent Notice Regarding Your SPECTURM Account".  Yes, that is right -- "SPECTURM" -- not Spectrum. 

While my account is with TWC, I am aware that TWC was recently acquired by Spectrum. 

As for Charter? I have no knowledge of, or dealings with Charter. I have since learned that they apparently own everything.

The source of the problem was that TWC's Spam filter and/or Spam Assassin caught the suspicious email and flagged them as malicious Phishing attempts and directed them to the Junk folder.

None of the allegedly mailed letters ever arrived in my postal mailbox, and TWC was unable to produce any proof that I received any advance notice or warnings.

The warnings were triggered by my use of the torrent protocol to download episodes of Comedy Central shows that were available free online.

When I asked how this was a violation, I was told it was because I used torrent. I informed them that torrent is a means to transmit files and is not illegal. I use it in my work to distribute large files among clients.

If TWC is punishing customers for legal activity and cannot provide a bright-line test for what customers should and should not do, they are "polluting the well" and alienating customers.

They have with me already. I'm researching other providers and won't hesitate to leave TWC the next time they pull one of these stunts.

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: TWC bogus copyright "strikes" notices

If You're running a business from home, you should have a TWC/ Spectrum Business class account.

Observer

Thanks for your input but it is a bit off topic and a distraction from my expressed concerns.

In response to your raising this side issue, I have a home office as many professionals do. I have reviewed TWC's business class offerings and found them grossly inappropriate and overpriced with respect to my needs.

However, if there is something about the business service offerings that would eliminate the primary problems I set out in my post, I would be glad to reconsider.

in the meantime, count me among the customers dissatisfied with the anti-torrent messaging and punitive yet vague actions of TWC and "SPECTURM".

Trusted Helper

Reckoner wrote:

Thanks for your input but it is a bit off topic and a distraction from my expressed concerns.

In response to your raising this side issue, I have a home office as many professionals do. I have reviewed TWC's business class offerings and found them grossly inappropriate and overpriced with respect to my needs.

However, if there is something about the business service offerings that would eliminate the primary problems I set out in my post, I would be glad to reconsider.

in the meantime, count me among the customers dissatisfied with the anti-torrent messaging and punitive yet vague actions of TWC and "SPECTURM".

I posted about this before,

Don't use TWC/Spectrum Mail.  There spam and security is not good.  Use a free web-based mail account such as Gmail, Yahoo, or Outlook.com.  Much better spam guards and phishing  protection.  Plus free Office utility suites with Google Drive included with Gmail and One Drive included with Outlook.com.  These free providers will catch spam like this, where Spectrum email can't.  Spectrum is not an email company.

Satch