Rookie

Remove device from McAfee's list of devices with protection

I discarded an old PC a couple of years ago that is still showing on my list of McAfee protected devices. How do I remove it if the PC no longer exists? I still have the hard-drive in my possession but it is not installed in any computer which is why I can't uninstall the software. Being on this list seems to prevent me from installing TWC's free McAfee on my new computer.

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Remove device from McAfee's list of devices with protection

Use Avast or Windows security essentials instead... both are better and not as intrusive

Rookie

Is this how you earned your title "Resident Wiz". You, may have fine answers but not to my question.
Valued Contributor

I have yet to figure it out since I have been looking to remove one of my laptops from it as well.

Lead Moderator

Reading through the Mcafee website it appears you need to contact customer support. 

McAfee for Consumer website for support McAfee Support

You can use their virtual technician there as well. 

Do you know the "name" of the computer you are wanting to have removed from the system? it is advised

to have this on hand. 

Regards,
Julia R.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Rookie

Thank you for providing the McAfee Support link. I had to utilize one of their support phone numbers. For some reason, when using their web page, the only option presented is to reinstall which is not what I needed. The McAfee listed devices page does not provide any support contact information so the link you provided is exactly what I needed.
Thank you,
Trusted Helper

TWC-JuliaR wrote:

Reading through the Mcafee website it appears you need to contact customer support. 

McAfee for Consumer website for support McAfee Support

You can use their virtual technician there as well. 

Do you know the "name" of the computer you are wanting to have removed from the system? it is advised

to have this on hand. 

Regards,
Julia R.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Additionally,

McAfee does provide a consumer product removal tool that will remove all taces of Mcafee from the system.  Details here.  Read this carefully:

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview;jsessionid=mT-YT6vXWSANViQp8eaXZXTEO...

What is the device for which McAfee is listed as an installed product?  What is your Operating System?  I would recommend the complete removal of McAfee products, as they are very bloated, and only offer average protection.  You will need to remove all traces of Mcafee not only from Add/Remove Programs Control Panel, but use the McAfee Removal Tool above.  I would recommmend running the McAfee Removal Tool twice.  Reboot twice when done with the Mcafee Removal Tool.

After removing McAfee, I would recommend either Microsoft Security Essentials, or if you are running Windows 8.1 to 10, it's equivalent, Windows Defender.  Avast used to be good, but I know people that say it has become a bit too bloated in later years.

Make sure you only have one AV on your system at any one time!  More than one AV product will cause conflicts and lesson your security!  Either use Microsoft Security Essentials if you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7.  Use Windows Defender, built into Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 if you have those Windows versions instead.

I have also heard good things about Bit Defender Free.  Note that Windows Defender can not be uninstalled, but will be deactivated if you install Bit Defender Free.  Bit Defender Free is lightweight and very good.

Satch

Sharer

MsRaye wrote:

Use Avast or Windows security essentials instead... both are better and not as intrusive

--------

www.360totalsecurity.com 

Free, GREAT protection, good extras, and very much in active development.