Mcafee Family Protection Uninstall Code Not Working

After installing the MFP my internet connection was blocked on my PC.  All other PC's on my network were not blocked.  It was a simple fix >>> uninstall the software.  Unfortunately, the code generated was invalid and the uninstall failed.   At the bottom of the uninstall window a message indicated that if the code did not work to call support.  Of course I frowned at having to call TWC Technical Support. It took 2 hours and 3 Technical Support Tech's and 2 Mcafee Technical Support Tech's to fix my issue.   This could have went so much faster if TWC would have listened to my advice in the beginning which was to provide me with a "master uninstall code" to replace/override the broken uninstall process.  I like to troubleshoot so before calling it took me less than 20 minutes to figure out the issue and that by providing proactive steps this would speed up the process.  NOPE!!!  They still have to provide steps taken before escalating to Tier 2 or above.   Finally after 1.5 hours I was transferred to Mcafee support and the rep' gave me a username and password along with a new uninstall code.  This took just over 5 minutes incuding restarting my PC.  

I hope this post helps someone who may have the same or similar issue.  Please provide this example and let TWC know that the only issue you are having is an invalid uninstall code.  The Mcafee rep' explained that this code is only generated by their system and not TWC.  

3 REPLIES

Re: Mcafee Family Protection Uninstall Code Not Working

I do apologize for the experience. Typically all troubleshooting and issues with the Mcafee product is handled by Mcafee themselves. Our technical support agents are not able to troubleshoot the antivirus software. 

Tyleen
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Forum Moderator

Helper

tfordchevy wrote:

After installing the MFP my internet connection was blocked on my PC.  All other PC's on my network were not blocked.  It was a simple fix >>> uninstall the software.  Unfortunately, the code generated was invalid and the uninstall failed.   At the bottom of the uninstall window a message indicated that if the code did not work to call support.  Of course I frowned at having to call TWC Technical Support. It took 2 hours and 3 Technical Support Tech's and 2 Mcafee Technical Support Tech's to fix my issue.   This could have went so much faster if TWC would have listened to my advice in the beginning which was to provide me with a "master uninstall code" to replace/override the broken uninstall process.  I like to troubleshoot so before calling it took me less than 20 minutes to figure out the issue and that by providing proactive steps this would speed up the process.  NOPE!!!  They still have to provide steps taken before escalating to Tier 2 or above.   Finally after 1.5 hours I was transferred to Mcafee support and the rep' gave me a username and password along with a new uninstall code.  This took just over 5 minutes incuding restarting my PC.  

I hope this post helps someone who may have the same or similar issue.  Please provide this example and let TWC know that the only issue you are having is an invalid uninstall code.  The Mcafee rep' explained that this code is only generated by their system and not TWC. 

Greetings,

I cannot recommend McAfee as it is very bloated and only offers average AV protection.  The link that follows are instructions I have provided on the forum on how to completely remove Mcafee from your system.  If you are using Windows 7, uninstall McAfee following the instructions at the link and get Microsoft Security Essentials.

If you are using Windows 8 or Windows 10.  Completely uninstall McAfee and use Windows Defender.  Faster, light-weight, no licence keys to worry about.  You will need to remove any competing anti virus software on your system before installing a new AV program.  More details here:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Antivirus-Internet-Security/McAfee-just-charged-me-75/m-p/12019...

Satch

Rookie

having this exact problem right now and getting the same run around you did.