Rookie

McAfee Frustration!

Can relate to someone who posted this:

"Keep getting popup message w/McAfee logo

'Your online security has expired!

That's why TWC is giving you a chance to try McAfee Multi Access.'

My question; is this just a misleading advetisement gimic or has the free McAfee Security software provided thru TWC actually expired and should be I be concerned about replacement?"

Keep getting similar popups, after only learning a few mos. ago about free McAfee from TWC-now-Spectrum and going to the trouble of installing it!  What is to be done? Saw the posts that in effect said, "Drop McAfee; use Avast." (And saw the step-by-step scenario for deleting McAfee, but didn't see any tips there for downloading Avast; and do u think free Avast is sufficient, or should we pay for higher Avast protection?)

But what if I want to keep McAfee? How do I ensure that McAfee truly "recognizes" that we've got the free Spectrum protection and stops warning it's going to end our coverage?

1 REPLY
Highlighted
Trusted Helper

Re: McAfee Frustration!

14 wrote:

Can relate to someone who posted this:

"Keep getting popup message w/McAfee logo

'Your online security has expired!

That's why TWC is giving you a chance to try McAfee Multi Access.'

My question; is this just a misleading advetisement gimic or has the free McAfee Security software provided thru TWC actually expired and should be I be concerned about replacement?"

Keep getting similar popups, after only learning a few mos. ago about free McAfee from TWC-now-Spectrum and going to the trouble of installing it!  What is to be done? Saw the posts that in effect said, "Drop McAfee; use Avast." (And saw the step-by-step scenario for deleting McAfee, but didn't see any tips there for downloading Avast; and do u think free Avast is sufficient, or should we pay for higher Avast protection?)

But what if I want to keep McAfee? How do I ensure that McAfee truly "recognizes" that we've got the free Spectrum protection and stops warning it's going to end our coverage?

Greetings,

What operating system do you have?  If you have Windows 7, use Microsoft Security Essentials or Bit Defender Free.  If you use Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, Microsoft Security Essentials becomes Windows Defender, which is super-light, auto-updates, and keeps its mouth shut.  Option two would be Bit Defender Free.

Make sure you only have ONE Antivirus program on your computer.  You will need to uninstall all others, as more than one AV will conflict.  You do this through Ad/Remove Programs on your computer.

I would say either MSEor Windows Defender.  The other option would be Bit Defender Free.  (One or the other installed, but not both!.)  They are the lightest in resource usage.

McAfee is very bloated and a poor AV.  You are paying for only average protection at best.  Uninstall everything related to McAfee through Control Panel and get one of the two programs I recommended above.  I also can no longer recommend Avast, it has become too bulky and you get pop-ups try to get you to update from the free version to the paid version.  All the others have become so bloated,  (AVG, Avira, McAfee, Norton..) They seem to slow down computers more than protect them!

Also, make sure you have one and only one Ad Blocker installed in each of your web browsers.  I recommend Ad Block Plus.  Google Search within each browser to go to the site and get the add-on.  It really helps against ads, which can lead to malware.

Satch