Rookie

How do I completely opt out of DNSredirect?

Hello all,

I have tried many different ways but am unable to opt out of the dns redirect service that time warner uses. Selecting the opt-out option does nothing, blocking the website from the router's firewall does nothing, attempting to change DNS made me realize that TW locked the router I bought, so I can't modify the settings. Hence why I have posted here in the security section of the forums.

If anyone can help me remove this POS "service" [read: virus] from my internet experience, I would appreciate it.

3 REPLIES

Re: How do I completely opt out of DNSredirect?

If you have any questions in regards to your services our Forum participants will be able to participate in resolution. If you are looking for direct support regarding service issues, billing, promotional offers, or cancellation / installation, we encourage you to contact us via one of the following methods:  

Thank you for participating in the Forums.

Have a good rest of the day!

Regards,

Paul B.

Expert

If you bought a router, TWC cannot lock you out of anything in it. They stop at the modem

Valued Contributor

TWC and other ISPs do redirect DNS requests within their infrastructure, not in your edge device; no reconfiguration of your normal modem or router can stop this (but see below).

The inability to disable the "web address error redirect service" has been reported before. As a first escalation I suggest opening a ticket on the dslreports.com TWC Direct forum and requesting assistance. NOTE - you will have to create a free account if you don't have one.

If that escalation doesn't have a positive outcome AND you are willing to be a little geeky, using 'dnscrypt proxy' software will bypass their redirection. The details are here: http://dnscrypt.org/ 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moto DCX3200-M set top box, ODN 8.0.0