Newcomer

3rd Copyright Violation Alert from Spectrum: What to do?

[ Edited ]

I received the first notice on August 11.
It started off with "Account Number:

Dear Internet Customer;

It has been brought to our attention that your Internet service was recently used to improperly copy or share copyrighted content such as music, movies, video or software using Peer-to-Peer or Torrenting software."
The e-mail stated that I take immediate action to "stop this unauthorized activity". I asked around my family and made sure that no one was participating in this unauthorized activity then chose to not respond to the e-mail, thinking it'd stop. 

However, on August 19, I unfortunately received a 2nd copyright warning. 

This time, it stated the file that was apparently being shared:

"File Name: Kendrick Lamar - **bleep**. (2017)14 DUCKWORTH..mp3
Content Type: 
Content URL: 
Shared: Aug 1 2017 3:39AM
IP Address: (removed)"

This surprised me, as (1) I do not listen to Kendrick, (2) I use Spotify Premium for all my music and (3) I wouldn't have been up sharing music at 3:39 AM.  The IP address listed was mine. by the way. After reading other forum posts regarding copyright alerts, I once again chose to ignore the e-mail, in hopes that whatever was going on would resolve on its own.

UNFORTUNATELY, earlier today (August 30th) I received the 3rd copyright alert, stating that I was sharing Drake's Controlla on August 11, 2017 at 7:47 AM.  

I am very confused as to why I am receiving these emails, and why the "shared dates" are so far off from the days I received the alerts, for ex: receiving an alert on Aug 19 for something that apparently was shared on Aug 1. I do not want to make the situation bigger than it should be so I'm hesitant on submitting a counter-notification. 

Excuse the lengthy post. Has anyone been in the same position as me? What did you do?
And if you are a Spectrum employee reading this post, what do you suggest that I do? 

8 REPLIES
Expert

Re: 3rd Copyright Violation Alert from Spectrum: What to do?

Turn off cloud storage on all devices as well as Microsofts illegal win 10 peer to peer upgrading, Onedrive, dropbox, I tunes sync, etc....

Sharer

[ Edited ]

cxnguyen wrote:

Excuse the lengthy post. Has anyone been in the same position as me? What did you do?
And if you are a Spectrum employee reading this post, what do you suggest that I do? 

Any kids in the house?  Do they listen to this music?

Is your Wi-Fi secure?  (Check and see what clients are connected by looking the the DHCP logs for your router)

Is the guest Wi-Fi on and open?

Are there any unprotected powerline extenders on your LAN?

And I doubt it's recorded, but is it possible the MAC address of the offending device was recorded and you could determine what device was doing the sharing?

Trusted Helper

MsRaye wrote:trum

Turn off cloud storage on all devices as well as Microsofts illegal win 10 peer to peer upgrading, Onedrive, dropbox, I tunes sync, etc....

I would say,

This may not solve the problem.  My recommendations would be the following:

1.)  Contact Spectrum via Twitter at @Ask Spectrum.  You will  need to log in with your Twitter account or get a Twitter account.

2.) Follow the @Ask Spectrum account to get updates.

3.) Send a DM to Spectrum, providing your account information in the DM.  Find the original email and copy and paste it into your DM message and ask if Spectrum sends out messages with this type of information? In your DM,provide your account information and ask for follow up on this.  We need to find out if this is a Spam Message or legit.

4.) In the meantime, make sure that your computer updates are turned on. (Windows Update.)  Update your anti-virus definitions and run a full system scan just to make sure your computer has not been hacked. 

5. You may also want to get and run Malware Byes.  Go to Malware Bytes.org.  Get that software if you don't already have it.  Uncheck the option to get the trial of the paid version.  This is a second line of defense that compliments your AV that you can run on demand.  When run, it will auto update, and check for malware on your computer, with an option to remove the malware.

6.) I would also recommend an ad-blocker, one and only one for each browser.  Ad Block Plus is the best.  It will block banner ads on sites and even on You Tube videos.  I would remove any other ad blockers and get that.  Search for Ad Block Plus and install it.

7.) My Web of Trust, mywot.com is also a website rating tool that provides color coded safety ratings, based on real-life web experiences from millions of users and top security companies.  Color symbols in searches and links provide the Trustworthiness of a site.  Green for excellent to good, Yellow for caution, Red or Black for danger.  Warning screens are provided for bad sites.

8.) Consider changing your email provider to a free web-based email service, such as Yahoo, Gmail, or Outlook.com.  All provide better security, spamguard, and more modern feature sets than Spectrum Mail.

9.) If you have children in the home, teach them not to go to unknown sites, or download suspicious files.  If Spectrum finds that the email is legit, you will need to do this.  I would also suggest changing your Passwords on all sites you visit, if the email is legit,  You nay also want to contact your bank or other financial institution to say that you suspect your computer may have been hacked.  They will help in this regard.

Satch

Observer

I would highly recommend not ignoring a DMCA letter. Unfortunately Charter and all other ISP's are bound to follow Federal Law and Regulation which usually leads to providing information, and suspending internet usage accounts.

Trusted Helper

[ Edited ]

RedlegsKing513 wrote:

I would highly recommend not ignoring a DMCA letter. Unfortunately Charter and all other ISP's are bound to follow Federal Law and Regulation which usually leads to providing information, and suspending internet usage accounts.

I agree,

Don't ignore it.  Send it to Spectrum via Twitter to inquire if it is Spam or legit.  Than, if legit, I would begin the steps I outlined above.  If you have Wireless Internet, I would suggest that you secure encrypt your Wireless router ASAP.

Satch

Expert

I don't think they have or can get the terminal devices Mac ADDY, If you're lucky, there might be a lan IP or port number you can trace to a device.

Participant

Could be mistaken IP address / identity?

Maybe you should try to get a new IP Address and see if you still get those warnings.

If you spoof/change the MAC Address on your router, power everything down (cable modem, router, PC, etc)  and reconnect, you may be assigned a new IP address.

If you still get those warning letters with that new IP Address, then it is probably something going on in your household.

I got my first alert today from Spectrum. The person at the risk office said this happened 2 weeks ago. It was triggered by someone in my home using a torrent to download and or share a song, which is free on youtube. Appenently a company called Rightscorp, inc. made the complaint to Spectrum. They are targeting torrents yet the same material is on youtube. This seems ludicrous.